    appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
    --
    Doug B

    Doug B, Aug 8, 2008

  2. "Doug B" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    >I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
    > scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no
    > error,
    > just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can run
    > manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue. User
    > rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
    > appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
    > --
    > Doug B

    You need to supply more information:
    - What is your exact backup command?
    - What backup log file are you looking at?
    - What does it say?
    - What does the Task Scheduler log file say?

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Aug 8, 2008

  3. Doug B

    Doug B Guest

    Using Windows backup and designated the files/directories to backup, with
    backup to a file on an external USB drive, so no "commands" per se. I have
    checked all the error logs and find nothing . . . no log enteries at all.
    Looking at the backup report within Windows Backup and the task scheduler.

    Thanks
    --
    Doug B

    Doug B, Aug 8, 2008
  4. If you schedule a backup then there IS a command.
    Schedule another one, make sure it is set to execute
    some time in the future, then examine the scheduled
    job it creates. You can see it in the Control Panel /
    Task Scheduler. Now copy that command line and paste
    it into your reply.

    I am unable to say anything else unless you respond
    to my other questions:
    - What backup log file are you looking at?
    (You said "all error logs" - which ones would they be?)
    - What does it say?
    (You should quote them in your reply)
    - What does the Task Scheduler log file say?
    (Did you check this one? It's under the Advanced
    options in the Task Scheduler)

    Sorry for being pedantic but since my crystal ball is
    currently a little cloudy, I must rely on your reports
    rather than on guesswork.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Aug 8, 2008
  5. There are actually two more questions:
    - Where are the folders that you're backing up?
    - What account do you use for the job you schedule?

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Aug 8, 2008
  6. Doug B

    Doug B Guest

    Thanks for the response. I'm at work now so will do as you suggested upon
    returning home. I'm trying to backup My Documents and another data directory
    for a program that is not running when the backup is scheduled. Both are
    being run with administrative rights. Will check the logs after doing another
    schedule and post back.
    --
    Doug B

    Doug B, Aug 8, 2008
  7. "Doug B" <> wrote in message
    >I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
    > scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no
    > error,
    > just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can run
    > manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue. User
    > rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
    > appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
    > --
    > Doug B

    Does your user account have a password?

    If it doesn't, add one, and then redo the scheduled task with the password.

    By default, for security reasons, the Windows Scheduler will not run
    scheduled tasks on a local account that does not have a password.

    You can defeat this behaviour, but it's there for security reasons and it's
    better to add the password.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Aug 9, 2008
  8. Doug B

    Overleyw Guest

    Overleyw, Sep 19, 2008
  9. Doug B

    Overleyw Guest

    I am having the exact same issue. I cannot get backup to schedule and run.
    It will run once as a manual job but never daily or weekly etc. I am just
    doing
    a few files in one folder.

    Overleyw, Sep 19, 2008
  10. If I had received one Dollar for every query that claimed that a scheduled
    job did not run (but did, in fact, run) then I'd be a wealthy man by now . .
    ..

    Let's do some diagnostic. Put the following lines into the file
    c:\Windows\Over.bat:
    @echo off
    echo %date% %time% %UserName% >> c:\Over.txt

    Now schedule this batch file to run a few times, then report the contents of
    c:\Over.txt. You should also report the following items in your reply:
    1. The exact command line that you have scheduled for your backup job.
    2. Which user account you're running it under.
    3. If this account is an admin account or not.
    4. If this account has a non-blank password.
    5. Which folders you're trying to back up.
    6. Where you're trying to back up to.
    7. The contents of your backup log.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Sep 19, 2008