Windows XP Rides Off into the Sunset

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
On Oct. 22, Microsoft will no longer allow PC makers to install the 9-year-old Windows XP operating system on new machines. But Dell isn't waiting for that date. The Round Rock-based computer maker will quit offering XP as an install option in September.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b.../07/windows-xp-rides-off-into-the-sunset.aspx

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm amazed that XP is still being installed on new PC's to be honest. Whilst it's still a capable operating system, I would have thought that the only need for it to be installed on a new machine would be for companies that only want to manage one OS, but I guess they would use image installs anyway.

It's funny to think how well XP is doing for an OS that's almost 10 years old - it's aged very well :nod:. Up until recently I was very happy using it on my laptop and saw no reason to upgrade for the sake of it.

Reaction score
May upgrade my test laptop thats currently running xp pro to windows 7 pro.
Can you buy an upgrade version or do you need a full version of windows 7?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
IIRC, you can buy an upgrade edition from XP > W7... however you'd need to perform a clean install with it. I'd recommend that anyway, so it's no loss :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
'Upgrade' is from Vista only i think.... But i'd say a clean install is the only way to go. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
feckit said:
May upgrade my test laptop thats currently running xp pro to windows 7 pro.
Can you buy an upgrade version or do you need a full version of windows 7?
no, you cannot buy an "upgrade" from XP to W7

You can upgrade XP to Vista to W7 ;)

Buy Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, if you not got a 64bit ready PC, then don't bother.

Always clean install ANY OS, especially Windows. :D

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
If I Remember Corectly, it means, Ian been talking to too many Yanks

;)

LOL

I'm still using XP x64 and will as long as I possibly can. I hated Vista and in all honesty I find Win7 just too fiddly and around the world to configure.......

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nah win 7 is great. Best Windows OS so far. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Linux Distros basically stay the same but with improvements and different version numbers. And very often with a new silly name like 'Dirty Deborah' or something.

But there are no fanfares, no marketing campaigns, they're just launched and the most significant improvements are hardware recognition.

All of which means bugger-all really but it made me wonder if Microsoft had made one original Operating system (let's just say Win 3.1 for the hell of it cos that was the first one with actual 'windows') and then supplied free upgrades from then until the present date would they still be financially buoyant?

And let's say they charged a straight £100.00 for a Microsft licence for a home user's system with 'free' updates for life.

Hmm, I just musing, really, don't really know what I'm talking about, lol

It's only worth using XP for two reasons:

1) You're desperately skint and can't afford £70.00 for Win 7.

2) Some older games.

Hardware has changed dramatically in the last nine years and OS's are built to support current hardware. Linux distros manage it for the most part and Win 7 has matured now to support the greater majority of available hardware.

Does XP still support all available hardware?

Oddly enough, seems it does, mostly.

So what's my conclusion?

I dunno :D

Win XP was, in perspective, Microsoft's greatest OS overall in it's history of OS's thus far.

But it's nine years old.

Win 7, to my mind, is superb but at only one year old has to gain a few more brownie points to usurp XP's reputation.

XP is nine years old, it's time to put it to bed.

Win 7 is very good indeed and in my opinion is easiest the best MS have come up with.

I wonder how many years Win 7 will be around? Another 9 years?

So, I is just prattling on, feel free to tell me to hush up :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Does XP still support all available hardware?
Nope!

A good argument being IE9 and its use of the GPU to render web pages ... no idea if Firefox's "version" will work as intended in XP, I haven't use Firefox since Linux. Google is playing catchup on that one.

In my opinion, Microsoft don't really care what the home user thinks or wants, it's their corporate users that are mollycoddled especially if you look at the emphases MS has put into W7 compatibility mode for XP corporate 3rd party/inhouse software.

Windows 7 has no natively support for the next generation devices based on the USB 3.0 standard. Nor will it support Bluetooth 3.0, you gonna have to wait till Win 8 (2012), so what chance XP. :D

:wave:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just to clarify what I meant ;)

You can buy an "upgrade edition" if you already have Windows XP - i.e. it qualifies as being a valid license... however you'll need to perform a clean install with the "upgrade edition" as you can't perform an in-place update - but I would recommend a clean install anyway.

Ask a Question