Windows XP Windows XP Pro Volume Licensing Key

Reaction score
Hiya everyone,

I am a newbie and would apreciate any help/advice with my enquiry.

I have a problem with the Windows XP Pro I recently purchased.

I am unable to update/validate it as it states that it is not genuine for home use, & only has a VLK licence.

Please can anyone shed any light on this, as I know very little about software.

Reaction score
I purchased it from Ebay and it cost me £49.99....I also checked the seller's feedback and he seemed credible and had sold over 30-40 Windows Xp Pro packages....all with glowing feedback from his customers.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh dear..eBay for Operating software...
russian_roulette.gif

XP Pro for under 50 quid hmmmmmm..I'll take 2 please..

Reaction score
I've just spoken to Microsoft and this is what they have to say!
"Quote:The product key on your computer is not for single-consumer use. Based on your input, we have determined that the product key you purchased is a Volume License Key (VLK) that is not designed for home use. Volume License Keys are typically licensed to an organization, such as a business or educational institution, that wants to use multiple copies of Windows"

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sounds like this seller on eBay is selling hooky copies of his companys operating software..

All you can do now is launch a dispute with PayPal to get a refund on the software, don't take no speil from the vendor just be firm and state you want a refund as the merchandise is not fit for purpose..
Paypal is on your side with this one..That is if you paid with Paypal..:nod:

Reaction score
Thanks.....the seller is actually co-operating with me and is very understanding. He has infact offered me a full refund which is good seeing as though I only purchased the software on Monday.

I was just wondering though......would there be any way around validating/updating Windows Xp with a licence key?

It's just that I've been after Windows Xp Pro for such a long time and it's just a shame as I got it at such a good price....and this seller has sold so many with glowing feedback!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Not really as the actual DVD with windows XP Pro doesn't matter, you could use your mates or get one out of a bin.

The part that matters is the key! You need a Home Users Key, if you buy one from Microsoft it is about £111, retail, they don't sell OEM keys.

Only choice is to get the refund then spend £60-70 on a proper version.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Ha didn't know it cost that much, more like £90 - £100 than the previous i stated.

Reaction score
jennykins said:
Thanks.....the seller is actually co-operating with me and is very understanding. He has infact offered me a full refund which is good seeing as though I only purchased the software on Monday.

I was just wondering though......would there be any way around validating/updating Windows Xp with a licence key?

It's just that I've been after Windows Xp Pro for such a long time and it's just a shame as I got it at such a good price....and this seller has sold so many with glowing feedback!

You have been told by MS [in a nut shel]that it is an illegal copy.
Have a look at this>http://www.nextag.co.uk/xp-professional/zzukzB1z0--search-html?nxtg=5f210a240513-3F71D62791811ECD

Reaction score
The real cost of XP-Pro HERE
The OEM version is normally sold if you buy a part for a pc, And it's for 1 pc only!

Reaction score
murdoch said:
The real cost of XP-Pro HERE
The OEM version is normally sold if you buy a part for a pc, And it's for 1 pc only!

No you don`t have to buy a component also any-more

Reaction score
I do not know what conversion from pounds to US dollar is but I can say this- We are a Certified Microsoft System Builder computer repair and custom build retail store. (The last of a dying breed here in US). Here is what Microsoft says I can and can not do. I can sell oem software to a customer as long as I sell them a NON PERIPHERAL part. This would be anything that goes inside the tower like RAM or a video card upgrade or a harddrive ect. A printer or mouse does not qualify. So oem windowsxppro is $189.00 us dollars and home oem is $109.00 retail editions by the time I pay shipping is cheaper at Staples or another Big Retail chain. I also need proof to sell academic software and they do not. So much for benefits of system builder program!! Here in the US I must sell them a component still to qualify for oem sale.

Last edited:

Ask a Question