Windows XP install unable to retrieve product identification

Discussion in 'Windows XP Setup' started by Michael, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I was reinstalling windows XP over the current install due
    to a system crash. After several attempts of repair and
    failing I was finally able to get to the system to
    reinstall XP without formating the drive. Everything was
    working with the installer screen up and running and
    copying to the files to the drive when after approximetly
    10-20 minutes, the following error appeared.

    FATAL ERROR
    Setup was unable to retrieve the Product ID because of the
    following error. RegOpenKeyEx(System\Setup\Pid) returned
    error 2(2).
    Setup was unable to retrieve the product Identification of
    the system you are installing. The windows XP media may be
    damaged.

    The disk is virtually undamaged. I could try reformatting
    but would prefer not too due to loss of all the programs
    and files.

    Michael, Aug 4, 2004

  2. How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Aug 4, 2004

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I went back and tried the guide. However, I was unable to
    copy the /repair/ directory files becuase there were none
    there. However, deleting the config files allowed me to
    reboot and reinstall with little trouble. This may work
    for someone else hopefully.

    Michael, Aug 6, 2004