Windows XP install unable to retrieve product identification

Reaction score
Hi i have been trying to install windows xp over the previous operating system, my freind gave my a copy of his disc but after going through the setup process for about 20 minutes it just came up with the following error. I now have a copy of windows xp home however i can't install it as it keeps going back to restarting instalation and i'm totaly lost as to what to do. I'm unsure also how to access ms dos as there is no option i went in to f1 setup and reset config setting and still nothing happened.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi THis didn't work for some reason i can't boot from the cd any ideas i changed everything in the bios but just a white line flashes up for few seconds then it moves on the setup restarting page.

Reaction score
Hi!;)

Setting up your Operating System on a new and/or upgrade PC from the point of having fully installed the components and they are functioning correctly.

• Start the computer and enter BIOS
  • Set date and time [this is important if you have upgraded your PC and also used the OS disk before].
  • Now set your boot formation as follows 1st boot CD ROM or DVD
  • Disable ALL the other boot devices.
  • Press F10 to save your settings in BIOS.
  • Insert your OS disk
  • Install and follow the instructions setting you desired preferences, authentic windows key/language/country Etc:
  • DO NOT HIT any keys [IE: F2] until set-up is complete, as the PC should not be interrupted whilst set-up is working?
  • Upon completion of the set up restart the PC and enter BIOS
  • Now set your boot formation as follows HDD1st boot CD ROM or DVD2nd and so on
  • Now install the required drivers if needed sound/LAN/Etc:
Happy computing :D :user:

Ask a Question