    action cannot be completed:

    Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connections. Can not Proceed."

    What does it mean. How can I fix the problem.

    Rich, May 4, 2009

  2. Also did you try restarting your cable modem?

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote), May 4, 2009

  3. Hi
    That usually means that the TCP/IP can not obtain a valid IP number from the
    DHCP sever.
    That can happened due to problem with the Internet/Modem, or your PC.
    It is very hard to find the cause if you have single computer attached to
    directly to a Modem.
    Call your ISP to make sure that their part of the Network is working
    correctly.
    P.S. You should consider installing a Cable/DSL Router even if you have only
    one computer.
    It provides better stable Internet service, Greatly Enhanced Security, and
    make it easier to "fix" that system when something goes wrong.
    Example for such inexpensive Router,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156001
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], May 4, 2009
  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On May 4, 11:01 am, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > That usually means that the TCP/IP can not obtain a valid IP number from the
    > DHCP sever.
    > That can happened due to problem with the Internet/Modem, or your PC.
    > It is very hard to find the cause if you have single computer attached to
    > directly to a Modem.
    > Call your ISP to make sure that their part of the Network is working
    > correctly.
    > P.S. You should consider installing a Cable/DSL Router even if you have only
    > one computer.
    > It provides better stable Internet service, Greatly Enhanced Security, and
    > make it easier to "fix" that system when something goes wrong.
    > Example for such inexpensive Router,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product..aspx?Item=N82E16833156001
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message

    > > I am using  Windows XP. I am using cable modem.

    > > My cable modem stopped working on XP. Here is what I did.

    > > I tried to repair my network connection. So I click on "repair this
    > > connection" and got the following message:

    > > "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
    > > action cannot be completed:

    > > Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connections. Can not Proceed."

    > > What does it mean. How can I fix the problem.

    Thanks for the response.

    I have rebooted and the cable company checked my connection. The
    connection is good.

    What else can I do.

    Rich, May 7, 2009
  5. Rich

    smlunatick Guest

    On May 7, 5:31 am, Rich <> wrote:
    > On May 4, 11:01 am, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Hi
    > > That usually means that the TCP/IP can not obtain a valid IP number from the
    > > DHCP sever.
    > > That can happened due to problem with the Internet/Modem, or your PC.
    > > It is very hard to find the cause if you have single computer attached to
    > > directly to a Modem.
    > > Call your ISP to make sure that their part of the Network is working
    > > correctly.
    > > P.S. You should consider installing a Cable/DSL Router even if you haveonly
    > > one computer.
    > > It provides better stable Internet service, Greatly Enhanced Security, and
    > > make it easier to "fix" that system when something goes wrong.
    > > Example for such inexpensive Router,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156001
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    > > "Rich" <> wrote in message

    > > > I am using  Windows XP. I am using cable modem.

    > > > My cable modem stopped working on XP. Here is what I did.

    > > > I tried to repair my network connection. So I click on "repair this
    > > > connection" and got the following message:

    > > > "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
    > > > action cannot be completed:

    > > > Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connections. Can not Proceed."

    > > > What does it mean. How can I fix the problem.

    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > I have rebooted and the cable company checked my connection. The
    > connection is good.
    >
    > What else can I do.

    Check any / all anti-virus or firewall software. I have seen some
    third party Internet security package that blocks a lot more than one
    would believe.

    smlunatick, May 7, 2009
  6. I used to have the problem some time ago. Instead of "repair", first
    "disable" then "enable" the connection usually worked for me.

    tony from hong kong, May 12, 2009
  7. Rich

    takeabyte Guest

    Same issue here but my Mac woks fine without having to reset the modem and
    router at all. I am doing the SP3 update on the PC that can't connect right
    now. Also I have disabled all anti-virus, firewall, spyware, etc. with no
    luck. Finally I have tried reinstalling all of the drivers for this HP.

    I will post an update if SP3 for XP works or not, but if it's not the
    anti-virus/firewall software and it's not the modem/router what could it be?
    (beside being a PC! lol jk)

    takeabyte, May 18, 2009