    After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
    seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
    rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

    Daniel Prince, Aug 20, 2012

  2. Daniel Prince

    R.Wieser Guest

    Daniel,

    The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
    than 32 GB.

    Funnily enough w98 had no problems with that, but that one FDISK could not
    handle such a large storage ...

    See what MS says about it here :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q314463&

    Regards,
    Rudy Wieser

    -- Origional message:
    Daniel Prince <> schreef in berichtnieuws

    R.Wieser, Aug 20, 2012

  3. Daniel Prince

    Arno Guest

    If it is not pre-formatted, you can either paritition the
    64GB drive or format it with something else, e.g. a Linux
    life-CD. While XP cannot format larger than 32GB it has
    no trouble using them when formatted.

    Chances are that a new 65GB flash drive is formatted
    with VFAT and works with XP.

    Arno

    R.Wieser <> wrote:
    > Daniel,

    > The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
    > than 32 GB.

    > Funnily enough w98 had no problems with that, but that one FDISK could not
    > handle such a large storage ...

    > See what MS says about it here :
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q314463&

    > Regards,
    > Rudy Wieser

    > -- Origional message:
    > Daniel Prince <> schreef in berichtnieuws
    >> Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash
    >> drives. Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.
    >> --
    >> When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
    >> After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
    >> seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
    >> rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    ----

    Arno, Aug 20, 2012
  4. Daniel Prince

    GMAN Guest

    In article <50324142$0$6919$4all.nl>, "R.Wieser" <> wrote:
    >Daniel,
    >
    > The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
    >than 32 GB.

    Not true, it just cannot format (Without a third party app) using FAT32. I
    have formatted a 64GB flash drive repeatedly on Windows XP Pro SP3 both with
    NTFS or using a 3rd party app in FAT32 for use in an old media player.

    GMAN, Aug 20, 2012
  5. Daniel Prince

    R.Wieser Guest

    GMAN,

    My apologies, I should have been more clear in the specifics of it.

    Luckily I provided a link to an MS webpage with all the details .... :)

    Regards,
    Rudy Wieser

    -- Origional message:
    GMAN <> schreef in berichtnieuws
    A6uYr.409535$1.easynews.com...

    R.Wieser, Aug 20, 2012
  6. On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 05:46:55 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

    > Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash drives.
    > Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.

    It works after installing the Exfat IFS driver (KB955704) via Windows
    Update.

    Joseph

    Joseph Terner, Aug 21, 2012
  7. Daniel Prince

    R.Wieser Guest

    Joseph,

    From the MS webpage to that update:

    "The exFAT file system is the *successor* to FAT32 in the FAT family of file
    systems"

    That could mean that exFAT is only usable on other machines having that
    patch. It would be a good idea to check ....

    Also read other posts here: Although XP cannot format drives larger than 32
    GB with FAT32 there are other programs (including w98's FORMAT) which does
    not have that limitation.

    Regards
    Rudy Wieser

    -- Origional message:
    Joseph Terner <> schreef in berichtnieuws

    R.Wieser, Aug 21, 2012
  8. Daniel Prince

    R.Wieser Guest

    Vanguard,

    > The format command in Windows XP won't *create*
    > a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB in size;

    FORMAT does not *create* such a partition, FDISK(/the equivalent on XP)
    does.

    > that doesn't preclude you from using 3rd party partition
    > managers to enlarge that partition to encompass the rest
    > of the available free space on the device

    The other way around I'm afraid. Parititioning on an XP machine will
    succeede, its the formatting that needs to be done either by a third-party
    program or somewhere else.

    Regards,
    Rudy Wieser

    -- Origional message:
    VanguardLH <> schreef in berichtnieuws
    k0ufnb$cn9$...

    R.Wieser, Aug 21, 2012
  9. Daniel Prince

    GMAN Guest

    In article <503270e6$0$6958$4all.nl>, "R.Wieser" <> wrote:
    >GMAN,
    >
    >My apologies, I should have been more clear in the specifics of it.
    >
    >Luckily I provided a link to an MS webpage with all the details .... :)
    >
    >Regards,
    >Rudy Wieser

    Hey, no need to appologise, we are all here to put our 2 cents in and help
    eachother.

    GMAN, Aug 21, 2012
  10. Daniel Prince

    GMAN Guest

    In article <k0ufnb$cn9$>, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >"R.Wieser" wrote:
    >
    >> The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
    >> than 32 GB.

    >That's a limitation of formatting using FAT32 on the flash drive. The
    >format command in Windows XP won't *create* a FAT32 partition larger
    >than 32GB in size; however, that doesn't preclude you from using 3rd
    >party partition managers to enlarge that partition to encompass the rest
    >of the available free space on the device. Even if you create and then
    >enlarge a FAT32 partition, you will still have the limit of 4GB for the
    >maximum size of a file.
    >
    >If you convert to NTFS then there is no such limit. If you format as an
    >NTFS partition on the flash drive, there isn't the 32GB limitation.
    >Under NTFS, you also won't incur the 4GB maximum size for a file.
    >
    >http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-usb-drive/

    Exactly, so basically if you are going to use that flash drive on any system
    Xp or newer, you might as well format it NTFS

    GMAN, Aug 21, 2012
  11. On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:04:40 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

    > From the MS webpage to that update:
    >
    > "The exFAT file system is the *successor* to FAT32 in the FAT family of
    > file systems"
    >
    > That could mean that exFAT is only usable on other machines having that
    > patch. It would be a good idea to check ....

    For specific flash media like SDXC you need that patch anyway.

    > Also read other posts here: Although XP cannot format drives larger than
    > 32 GB with FAT32 there are other programs (including w98's FORMAT) which
    > does not have that limitation.

    Windows 98's FORMAT is actually a DOS program and it cannot format flash
    drives, because Microsoft DOS doesn't support them.

    So digging out tools from the stone age doesn't help. But of course there
    are mkdosfs and others.

    Joseph

    Joseph Terner, Aug 21, 2012
  12. Daniel Prince

    R.Wieser Guest

    Hello Joseph,

    > Windows 98's FORMAT is actually a DOS program
    > and it cannot format flash drives, because Microsoft
    > DOS doesn't support them.

    Simple solution: don't boot into DOS. :)

    Regards,
    Rudy Wieser

    -- Origional mesage:

    R.Wieser, Aug 21, 2012
  13. Daniel Prince

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 21 Aug 2012 20:05:48 GMT, Joseph Terner <>
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Windows 98's FORMAT is actually a DOS program and it cannot format flash
    >drives, because Microsoft DOS doesn't support them.

    I use Win98Se, and it FDISKs and FORMATs USB drives just fine. In fact
    I set up a 320GB USB HDD using Win98SE. And, BTW, DOS drivers for USB
    storage devices do exist. I use them. :)

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Aug 22, 2012
  14. Daniel Prince

    VanguardLH Guest

    "R.Wieser" wrote:

    > Vanguard,
    >
    >> The format command in Windows XP won't *create* a FAT32 partition
    >> larger than 32GB in size;

    > FORMAT does not *create* such a partition, FDISK(/the equivalent on
    > XP) does.

    Yep, you're right. It's the FDISK command that creates partitions. It
    is the FORMAT command (that you use to layout a particular file system
    within a partition), as you noted via the MS KB article, that won't
    structure a partition larger than 32GB.

    VanguardLH, Aug 22, 2012
  15. Daniel Prince

    VanguardLH Guest

    "R.Wieser" wrote:

    > Joseph Terner ...
    >
    >> Daniel Prince wrote:
    >>
    >>> Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash drives.
    >>> Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.

    >> It works after installing the Exfat IFS driver (KB955704) via Windows
    >> Update.

    > From the MS webpage to that update:
    >
    > "The exFAT file system is the *successor* to FAT32 in the FAT family of file
    > systems"
    >
    > That could mean that exFAT is only usable on other machines having that
    > patch. It would be a good idea to check ....

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exfat#Disadvantages
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exfat#Support_on_other_platforms

    The OP is asking about removable storage media. exFAT is usable only if
    using the flash drive on other Windows or mobile hosts where exFAT is
    supported or support has been added. Good luck with that.

    VanguardLH, Aug 22, 2012