Windows Vista laptop can't connect to network printer on home netw

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Print / Fax / Scan' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2007.

    I've brought my work laptop (running Windows Vista Ultimate) home and
    connected it to my home network. I can connect to file shares on the other
    computers on the home network, but I'm unable to connect to any shared
    printers. When I attempt to connect, I get the following message:

    Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed
    (error 0x00000003).

    I have tried connecting to shared printers on two different computers (one
    running Windows Vista Ultimate, the other running Windows XP Professional),
    with identical results.

    The other computers on my home network have no difficulty sharing printers
    with each other. It's just my work laptop that has this problem.

    Could this have something to do with the laptop being joined to a domain?
    (My home network is a workgroup, not a domain.) I certainly don't want to
    unjoin the domain every time I bring it home, and rejoin when I go back to
    the office.

    Guest, Mar 4, 2007

  2. If the print driver is included in Vista. Install a local printer adding a
    Local Port \\XPMACHINENAME\PRINTSHARENAME and use the Vista driver.

    error 3 is path not found

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Mar 5, 2007

    Re: Windows Vista laptop can't connect to network printer on home

    Alan ... Installing the shared printer (attached to a Win 98 machine) as a
    local printer as you suggest below works ... The printer shows as "Ready" and
    I can print to it vey well until I turn off the Vista pc. Each time I turn
    the computer back on, the printer is "offline" and there appears to be
    nothing that I can do to get it "online" and "ready". If I delete the printer
    and re-install it again as a local printer, it will again work just fine.
    But it seems that re-installing the printer each time I turn the computer on
    shouldn't be the way to operate.

    Any suggestions on getting the shared printer to work without re-installing
    it as a local printer every time I log on?

    Thanks.

    Guest, Mar 6, 2007

    I have same problems. I use Windows Vista Ultimate and Lexmark Z25 on my
    other XP based PC.

    Guest, Mar 12, 2007
  5. I do not see a Vista driver for this model. Contact Lexmark and find out if
    they will even create on for this OS.

    http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/sequentialem/home/0,6959,204816596_920309141_0_en,00.html

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Mar 12, 2007

    Greg Guest

    Re: Windows Vista laptop can't connect to printe

    I haven't even tried networking yet - it won't even print directly from the
    laptop to my Lexmark Z25 when set as the Vista default printer and connected
    to the USB port on the laptop. It's totally outrageous that Vista cannot
    simply use XP drivers. It should be backwards compatible. Things should
    become more, not less functional with a new OS! It would be so easy for
    Microsoft to write an XP driver emulator but they won't. There isn't even a
    generic driver available that might allow you to approximate most of the
    printer's functions successfully. Even Windoze 95 had that capability.
    Lexmark do not seem to have a Vista driver on their website, which is full
    of doublespeak crowing about the printers they DO support with vista
    drivers. And why would they? Lexmark won't provide it because they want you
    to buy a new one and MS won't provide it because they're too lazy and foist
    as much responsibility as possible off onto third parties whenever they can
    (which is why we now have to download our own backups for installed OEM
    software).

    Greg

    Greg, Mar 17, 2007