Windows update error 0x8007041D

nickfo

Hi. I just recently formatted my Windows XP Home Edition computer and
reinstalled everything. Upon reinstalling, I installed service pack 2.
After installing SP2 I went to "Windows Update" and it said I needed
the latest Windows Update software. I clicked install and then it
shows up with a screen that says:

[Error number: 0x8007041D]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
problem.

I've researched this error number on microsoft.com and they say that if
you are running NOD32 that you should disable it. I am not running
that anti virus software. I have also searched on google and I've
tried almost everything people have said to do. Is there anyway I can
update my computer?

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Basically the error means - ERROR_SERVICE_REQUEST_TIMEOUT
Sometimes this happens when the server is busy and you could retry later.

If it continues and as NOD32 is not the case then check in the Event Viewer to
see if there is any specific errors regarding services:-
Start/Run/Eventvwr.msc

Other postings -

Posted by: Mila -
<snip> In my case it was wups.dll in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wups.dll\5.8.0.2469
folder. After removing this file, windowsupdate works great.
Mila <snip>

Some additional information on this error from Torgeir, Microsoft MVP

<snip>

Hi,

If the things in TaurArian's post didn't apply or work, it is most likely a COM+
issue.

First, verify that the "COM+ Event System" service is not disabled or not
functioning:

Press Start and Run, and then run this command:
services.msc

Locate the "COM+ Event System" entry, and double click on it. Startup type
should be set to "Manual", and if the service is not already running, press the
Start button to see if it starts successfully.

If the steps above where ok, see if the steps in this previous post fixes the
problem (applies to WinXP as well):

From: DBQ <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: 0x8007041D W2K Server Try All
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:30:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

<quote>
We with a little help from MS It is fixed.

Two issued needed repairing.

1. COM+,
This required cleaning up a damaged COM+ catalog details at:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315296

2. Replacement of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft
\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost for another working machine.

</quote>

<snip>

--

===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

| Hi. I just recently formatted my Windows XP Home Edition computer and
| reinstalled everything. Upon reinstalling, I installed service pack 2.
| After installing SP2 I went to "Windows Update" and it said I needed
| the latest Windows Update software. I clicked install and then it
| shows up with a screen that says:
|
| [Error number: 0x8007041D]
| The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
| are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
| problem.
|

| I've researched this error number on microsoft.com and they say that if
| you are running NOD32 that you should disable it. I am not running
| that anti virus software. I have also searched on google and I've
| tried almost everything people have said to do. Is there anyway I can
| update my computer?

nickfo

Hey, thanks for the help. I deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wups.dll\5.8.0.2469
and then ran Windows Update and now everything is working excellent.
Thanks again!