Windows Picture and Fax Viewer error message "no preview available

Discussion in 'Windows XP Photos' started by Guest, Dec 4, 2005.

    Hi, all. Was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this question.

    Up until last week, I've always been able to view my pics with Windows P & F
    Viewer without any problems (they're all stored in the "My Pictures" folder).
    But, now when I open the My Pictures folder, I can see all the thumbnails in
    the subfolders, but when I open the desired subfolder, Windows P & F Viewer
    says "no preview available". I could understand if this was happening to
    every subfolder's pictures, but it picks random folders that will display and
    won't display. I've checked the properties on all subfolders and they're all
    the same (why some display and some won't is puzzling me). Quite confusing
    to say the least.

    I'd really appreciate some input if anyone has ever experienced anything
    similar.

    Thanks for your time!

    Angiejabmsu

    Guest, Dec 4, 2005

    John Inzer Guest

    angiejabmsu wrote:
    > Hi, all. Was wondering if anyone might know the answer
    > to this question.
    >
    > Up until last week, I've always been able to view my pics
    > with Windows P & F Viewer without any problems (they're
    > all stored in the "My Pictures" folder). But, now when I
    > open the My Pictures folder, I can see all the thumbnails
    > in the subfolders, but when I open the desired subfolder,
    > Windows P & F Viewer says "no preview available". I
    > could understand if this was happening to every
    > subfolder's pictures, but it picks random folders that
    > will display and won't display. I've checked the
    > properties on all subfolders and they're all the same
    > (why some display and some won't is puzzling me). Quite
    > confusing to say the least.
    >
    > I'd really appreciate some input if anyone has ever
    > experienced anything similar.
    >
    > Thanks for your time!
    >
    > Angiejabmsu

    ==================================
    Have a look at the following article:

    (326675) "No Preview Available" and "File
    Format Is Not Supported" Error Messages
    Occur When You Try to View Graphic Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326675

    --

    John Inzer
    MS Picture It! MVP

    John Inzer, Dec 4, 2005

    Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer error message "no preview avail

    John -

    I use neither AOL nor CompuServe. The pictures that I'm trying to view are
    ones that I've taken myself and uploaded to my computer. Is there anything
    that might have happened to make them unviewable? I mean, one day they're
    there viewable, the next they're not.

    But, thanks nevertheless for looking into it for me. :blush:)

    Angie ~

    Guest, Dec 5, 2005

    John Inzer Guest

    angiejabmsu wrote:
    > John -
    >
    > I use neither AOL nor CompuServe. The pictures that I'm
    > trying to view are ones that I've taken myself and
    > uploaded to my computer. Is there anything that might
    > have happened to make them unviewable? I mean, one day
    > they're there viewable, the next they're not.
    >
    > But, thanks nevertheless for looking into it for me. :blush:)
    >
    > Angie ~

    ==================================
    I thought you said the files were random?

    Did you run a full system virus scan using the
    most recent definitions?

    Maybe it would help to do some maintenance.
    It's also a possibility that you have a corrupted
    Win XP User Account.

    Running Disk Cleanup, Error Checking and
    Defrag on a regular schedule is a good idea.

    (310312) Description of the Disk Cleanup
    Tool in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310312

    (315265) How to Perform Disk Error Checking
    in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315265
    (check the two boxes..."Automatically fix file
    system errors" and "Scan for and attempt
    recovery of bad sectors") the utility will run
    the next time you restart your computer.
    (run error checking repeatedly until it finds
    no errors)

    (314848) How to Defragment Your Disk
    Drive Volumes in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314848

    John Inzer, Dec 5, 2005

    David Candy Guest

    Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer error message "no preview avail

    email a jpg file to

    Read David defending the concept of violence.
    http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more

    David Candy, Dec 5, 2005

    I have the same exact problem too. Was anyone able to solve this problem?
    I also do not use AOL so that solution didn't help either.
    Thanks, Steve

    Guest, Mar 19, 2006