Windows Vista Windows Photo Gallery

Reaction score
Hi, whenever i've wanted to view a picture on Vista, i've simply gone to the Pictures folder and double clicked on an image to get a (full screen) preview of just that image, but since i reinstalled Vista yesterday, when i double click on a picture file it takes me to Windows Photo Gallery where all my pics are, then i have to right click and select Preview, all i want is a preview with a double click (like it is on XP)(and it was on vista). Is there any way to change it so it doesn't go to the gallery it just gives a preview with a double click.

Hope this isn't too confusing :)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm wondering why you re-installed Vista?

Have your pix become read-only files?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have you tried Photos > Tools >Folder Options and then in the General tab clicked "Restore Defaults"

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm wondering why you re-installed Vista?

I was setting up a dual boot with xp and decided to do full installs of both to make life easier,
the pictures are viewable, but with vista it goes:

Open pictures folder, double click on a picture, which opens Photo Gallery, i then have to find the pic again and double click to get a fullscreen preview.

But in XP it goes:

Open pictures folder, double click on a picture and it opens in a full screen preview.

^^ it was like this with my vista until today, i'm wondering if theres been any recent vista updates that could have changed it.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This is one of the differences between XP and Vista. I've used it for almost a year and it has always functioned in this way:

If you open your "My Pictures" folder and double click anything within it, it brings up "Photo Gallery" and when you hover your mouse over the pic, you see a larger preview of it. Single-click and then click on "Fix" and your picture will open for editing in "Photo Gallery's" own picture editor.

If you want to use the "Preview" facility, you can still right click and select "Preview."

:wave:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
TC is correct ...

You have a dual-boot system? ... then follow the instructions in the following KB article and the attached guide to protect your Vista VSS files from being destroyed by XP everytime you boot into XP. Otherwise you will lose your Vista Backup and Restore Center files, restore points, shadow copies (aka Previous Versions), and more just by booting XP. :rolleyes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

Good old MS. ;)

There really is nothing wrong with Vista, OK you need a reasonable PC, but it is based on Win 2008 server, not an old tech from 2000. :thumb:

Life is full of changes ... learn to accept them or live in yesteryear. :D

user.gif

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
This is one of the differences between XP and Vista. I've used it for almost a year and it has always functioned in this way

I've had Vista installed for ages now and its always been like xp was, until now that is.
One word "BIZZARE"
Ah well its only my girlfriend thats moaning about it, I guess she'll just have to make do.
laughingsmiley.gif

muckshifter said:
You have a dual-boot system? ... then follow the instructions in the following KB article and the attached guide to protect your Vista VSS files from being destroyed by XP everytime you boot into XP. Otherwise you will lose your Vista Backup and Restore Center files, restore points, shadow copies (aka Previous Versions), and more just by booting XP.

I've been dual booting XP and Vista for ages with no problems at all, I installed vista for my girlfriend, but being a bit of a gamer i refuse to change over from something that works just how i like it . I've no problems with Vista as an OS its just not as good for games as XP is.
nod.gif

I'm a none believer in System Restore, I believe in System Re-Install. lol

Last edited:

Ask a Question