    disabled as well. I ran several online virus checks but
    they didn't find anything. Any ideas before formatting?
    Thanks.

    Doug, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Doug

    Kelly Guest

    Hi Doug,

    Run this small utility and remove problematic .exe's from your run keys and
    also stop the process via the Task Manager.

    List of Startup Programs Running at Login (Line 261)

    If your system is clean, run this edit:

    EXE and LNK Fix for Windows XP - Line 12

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    MS-MVP Win98/XP
    [AE-Windows® XP]

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

    Kelly, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Doug

    doug Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the web site. I tried the first fix and
    nothing unusual appeared. I tried the second fix but it
    won't let me open regedit unless it knows what program
    created it.

    Thanks anyways

    Doug

    doug, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Doug

    Kelly Guest

    Hi Doug,

    The first one would have given you a log file that reads your runkeys so you
    can remove the problematic ones (worms/virii). The second issue you faced
    because either regedit.exe has become restricted or over written. Try
    renaming it to regedit.com and try again. If not run the vb script on line
    275. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    Kelly, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Doug

    Stillapill

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have this exact same problem and cannot fix it. I have tried everything listed here and still nothing. I can open my browsers, but no programs. MSCONFIG will not open or run and I am beyond frustrated. Help!

    Stillapill, Mar 15, 2011