Windows XP "Windows Movie Maker" movie plays too fast

Reaction score
I've made a movie clip using "Windows Movie Maker", but when I play the clip it goes too fast. How can I slow the motion down? What's the ideal picture duration and transition duration?

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to PCReview....Have you got video acceleration turned on for any other programs such as DivX or speedbit etc. If so turn it off and then try.
Also in movie maker go to tools/ options/ advanced and play with transition and timelime settings.
It could well be a filter or codec issue. You will find more infoand settings in moviemaker/tools/compatability.
In here you will find settings to try and also click on what are video filters and read the info there.
This may help. Good luck and let us know you get on. Some other members might be more experienced and may help you moe than i can.

Zzzzz

Reaction score
Hi, Captain Zed! Nice meeting you here.
I don't have the video accelerators you mentioned. In Compatibility I have K-Lite and PICVideo M-JPEG 3 DirectShow Decoder, which I have uncked now. In Advanced I have reset Picture Duration to 30 seconds and transition duration to 5 seconds. The resulting clip is still as fast as before. Also read 'Knowledge Base' for more info and the only suggestion I found was to turn off the filters. I've just remembered that the videos I got when using a camcorder are ok after being edited with Windows Movie Maker. This particular video I'm asking about now was taken with a digital camera. Do you think this might be the reason for the problem? Thank you very much for your help.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to do. Recode a movie file, burn your file to a dvd ??? What type of file ?? Give us some more solid facts and we will find it easier to help.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
arletebr said:
Hi, Captain Zed! Nice meeting you here.
I don't have the video accelerators you mentioned. In Compatibility I have K-Lite and PICVideo M-JPEG 3 DirectShow Decoder, which I have uncked now. In Advanced I have reset Picture Duration to 30 seconds and transition duration to 5 seconds. The resulting clip is still as fast as before. Also read 'Knowledge Base' for more info and the only suggestion I found was to turn off the filters. I've just remembered that the videos I got when using a camcorder are ok after being edited with Windows Movie Maker. This particular video I'm asking about now was taken with a digital camera. Do you think this might be the reason for the problem? Thank you very much for your help.

The digital camera you mentioned....did it come with a software cd that you need when you want to process the movie files that were taken from the camera.
Also turning off all the check boxes may be turning off the codec/filter you need to run the file.
If i was you i would try them one at a time, not all together and see.I know its very frustrating when these clips wont play....also you didnt mention what kind of file is it. Are you playing it directly from the camera or did you burn it to a disc and then try to play it. Does it paly okay on the camera.
As AB mentioned earlier....can we have a little more detail please so we might better be able to get you sorted.
nod.gif

Ask a Question