    I now have msn messenger 6.0, and every time I use it
    Windows Messenger tries to start. This is a problem that
    should never have happened MICROSOFT! Its damned annoying!

    gorn, Oct 12, 2003

  2. gorn

    Gary Tsang Guest

    Hi,

    Take a look at Doug Knox's Website at this link for detailed instructions on
    how to disable your Windows Messenger.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

    When you do this your Windows Messenger won't show up in your taskbar
    anymore. Your MSN Messenger 6.0 will continue to function.

    However if you want to completely remove/uninstall Windows Messenger from
    Windows XP can be found at this website made by Jonathan Kay.
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7

    Follow the steps and the pictures that the website has and you shouldn't
    have anymore problems. Uninstalling Windows Messenger can disable some of
    the messenger features such as Whiteboard Sharing, and others on MSN
    Messenger if you're using that.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    Gary Tsang, Oct 12, 2003

  3. gorn

    Lucky One Guest

    Hi gorn

    If you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed?
    open Norton Antivirus click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck
    MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.

    Lucky One, Oct 12, 2003
  4. gorn

    vae maximus Guest

    A big shout out to Lucky One for the info. I was having
    a problem with not being able to close Windows Messenger -
    I'd get an alert message stating that another app
    (Outlook, IE, et al) was using Messenger features,
    although none of the referenced progs was running at the
    time. I tried your fix of going into my Norton Antivirus
    options (which I had indeed recently installed as part of
    Norton Internet Securities 2003), and voila, that was
    it. Sometimes I wonder if the perceived security
    provided by Norton is worth the problems it causes (I
    also had Norton Systemworks installed on my Windows 98
    o/s, oy vey, don't get me started with that bug-a-boo).
    Anyway, big ups for the assist.

    vae maximus, Oct 13, 2003