Windows XP Windows Mell Edition

Reaction score
Could you please help, I prev has Windows 98, which has been working fine. However I thought I would upgrade to Windows Millen edition. Now my Explorers playing up, when i use the search on yahoo and other engines, i get this messsage, "Explorer has caused and Error in (unknown) please restart your computer if the problem persists. Then I can only click OK button, then throws me out altogether.
This is what i have tried so far:
I have tried the repair funtion on add/remove programs, no change.
Tried to uninstall WME, but the scandisk goes around on a loop and runs forever, it never finishes.
Tried to replace with another explorer version, wont allow me

I just want my W98 back, si if you have any advice on how to get rid of this WME or on to resolve my problem, then i owe you one.

Thanks Techs

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, IE6 does not come with ME so you must have 'upgraded that' as well. ME has IE5 bundled with it and works very well ... I've seen too many people with ME have problems with IE6.

If you cannot "restore" ME to a previous date then I would strongly suggest you do a "clean" install of ME/98.

No system should 'upgrade' the OS; a clean install can be done even with an upgrade disk.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, you gave me a lead that has solved my problem. I have reverted back to Windows 98 by using a start up disk and using Min Boot to uninstall ME, everything went fine and havent lost anything. Is there any way I can get rid of IE ver6 and replace it with 5.5 so WE can be installed?

It will not allow me to restore prev config as the button is greyed out.

Thanks Guys

Reaction score
You should be able to uninstall IE6 from the control panel -> add/remove programs. Once it's uninstalled download 5.5 SP2.

Ask a Question