Windows Mail can compact the message store."

Mr. Ray

You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
The popup messages should cease.

Gary VanderMolen

That's like turning off the seatbelt warning buzzer on your car...

There is a good reason why compaction should be done periodically.

Papa Bear

I actually do compact mine when asked, however i thought it was just to free
up space. Is that correct or not? What is the importance of actually
performing this if it isn't for clearing up some space?

Regards,

BigNic

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

Mr. Ray said:
You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
The popup messages should cease.

It frees up space in the index file for pointers to the deleted messages.
However, it's more important that it allows you to access the database
for all the messages faster.

Mr. Ray said:
You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail
"tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance"
then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100
runs.
The popup messages should cease.

Steve Cochran

It shrinks down the database for faster performance.

steve

Mr. Ray said:
You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail
"tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance"
then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100
runs.
The popup messages should cease.

Fortuitous

I do not understand. Why should the compaction be done?

Mr. Ray said:
You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
The popup messages should cease.

Gary VanderMolen

It's a necessary housekeeping chore. Like periodically taking out the
garbage at home. Eventually the garbage would take up so much
space that you can't live in the house anymore.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Mr. Ray said:
You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
The popup messages should cease.

natalie.westlake

Mr. Ray said:
You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
The popup messages should cease.

mac

Amy Syd said:
Ray - This worked for me thank you! That message was driving me crazy!

Do not do that!!

It is absolutely VERY BAD advice!!

Allow WM to compact, it only removes wasted space.

Gary VanderMolen

Since you don't like taking the garbage out periodically, you just let it
accumulate in your house until there is no more living space left?
That is essentially what you are doing.

Trying to shut off Mail compacting

Hi Mr. Ray, Followed the instructions, unclicked the box, no help, tried
several times and changed the # of times. It does not save the new info, it
goes back to every 100 times every time. Any other suggestions? Michelle

t-4-2

" It does not save the new info, it goes back to every 100 times every
time. "
That is probably you had missed one step.
After you've changed the # of times......
First you click CLOSE,
Then, on the next window, you click Apply/OK. You missed this step,
therefore it was never changed.
t-4-2

"Trying to shut off Mail compacting" <Trying to shut off Mail

Gary VanderMolen

Why do you have a problem with compacting being done every 100 times?
Like taking out the garbage, it needs to be done periodically.

Ian S

Unless the system is old with a small HD and one of those 512 memory chips,
the amount of space saved compacting old emails is negligible. I routinely go
through my inbox and save the emails I want to named folders. Through this
process I deliberately limit my inbox to 500 or less messages. When I hit 500
I spend the time it takes to drink a mug of coffee saving what I want and
trashing the rest. Simple management just like emptying bins, but I am not
allowing the pc to lose messages I want in compaction. Yes the compaction
warning is off on my pc. I do not need it nagging me. Hope this encourages.

Gary VanderMolen said:
That's like turning off the seatbelt warning buzzer on your car...

There is a good reason why compaction should be done periodically.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
The popup messages should cease.

Steve Cochran

Compaction in WinMail does NOT involved the messages at all. Only the
database (WindowsMail.MSMessageStore) is compacted.

steve

:

That's like turning off the seatbelt warning buzzer on your car...

There is a good reason why compaction should be done periodically.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the
mail "tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance"
then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every
100 runs.
The popup messages should cease.

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

You have no idea what you are doing. The compaction process in
Windows Mail addresses a different problem than the compaction
process in Outlook Express. I suggest you heed the advice from experts.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com