Windows Vista windows mail attachment opening problem

Reaction score
On vista home premium we are trying to open an email attachment. The file is a .doc file, and whenever we try to open it, an error message comes up saying:

'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel.'

We managed to find the set associations bit, but there is no detail in the list about a .doc file (ie, in the whole list of openable files, .doc isn't there) therfore we can't set MS Works to open the .doc file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Michael.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response;

In theory works can use doc files.

On win xp, it worked fine with me.

Works in Vista can save the .doc files and if you open something, the drop down menu shows a doc file can be opened...

For some reason this OS doesnt like it.

*sigh*

I'll look at the link now, cheers :thumb:

Edit:

Downloading Word Viewer now, thanks :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Success V_R :thumb:

Works like a dream :). Thank you

Now i just have the problem of printing it from the downstairs laptop.. Okay, im gonna hijack my own thread :D.

All of our computers are linked via a wireless router, but when we want to print from the laptop, the laptop can't seem to find our printer.

It is a hp psc 750 model, and it should be networkable.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You really must learn something ... just because MS produce Office & Works, you don't think MS would make it easy for both of them to talk to one another, do you ? ;)

That would be too simple. :D

Reaction score
Ah yes.

Life can never be simple. Thats just not allowed. ;)

Would the problem be solved with a print server?

muckshifter

Reaction score
What are you calling a printer server ? ... have you added the printer to the Laptop ?

That printer is USB ? tell me it has an RJ45 (Ethernet) socket & I will say it is a net-workable printer ... ;)

I need more info ... and I'm off to bed for now. :p

:user:

Reaction score
I've tried adding the printer to the laptop mucks, it doesnt detect it.

The nice people at novatech warehouse convinced us that the hp psc 750 is a 'net-workable' printer. I doubt this has an ethernet socket, its only got one lead connecting it to the back of my pc.

I cant be bothered to move down and check for anything else now... off to bed to.

Leave this for the morning :thumb:

happywave.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
You probably know this & done it, but I have to cover it anyway ...

To share the printer, open the Printers and Faxes folder on the computer that was connected to the printer.

To open the Printers and Faxes folder

Click Start and then click Control Panel.
Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.
In the Printers and Faxes folder, click the printer's icon and, in the tasks pane, click Share This Printer.
open the printer's Properties dialog box, and clicked on the Sharing tab.
click Share Name, and then clicked OK.

That's it ... the printer should be immediately available for other computers to use. :thumb:

To connect to the printer

On any other PC/Laptop
open Control Panel, and click Printers and Other Hardware.
click Add a Printer.
Instead of adding a local printer though, click Printer Connection and then browsed the network for the printer.
add this printer.

... if that is how you have "networked" your printer and the Laptop still cannot find it, then there is a problem on the network, this is usually caused by the Firewall not being setup correctly. ;)

The easiest way to setup a "network" is to use a Router/Hub ... most Routers are Hubs also ... If needed, you can add another Hub (the Yanks call 'em switches) this is how I have my network setup.

Note: Using two Routers will screw-up unless you know how to make one of the Routers into a Hub only.

:user:

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the reply Mucks;

The printer was already set to share. The computer that is connected to the printer directly runs on XP, and the laptop we want to connect the printer with is vista...

I don't know my way around on Vista well... when i try to add the printer, there are 2 options:

Add local printer and,
Add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer.

When i go onto the 2nd option (networked) it searches for available printers, but doesnt find any. The printer is on and fully functional.

I am using 1 router that connects 2 pc's on XP and the one laptop on Vista...

muckshifter

Reaction score
haha right ... MS v MS ... who has the better lawyers. :lol:

OK, well you are gonna have to first make sure Vista is on the same "workgroup" as XP ... The default workgroup name in Windows Vista has been changed to WORKGROUP, XP still uses MSHOME ... make sure they are both the same. Using "workgroup" on both Vista & XP

Another way to add a printer is to use the "proper" method used in any "real" network ... \\computer_name\printer_name so, go back to add printer on the Vista system and Add Printer as before ... but:

Choose Add a local printer
Click on Create a new port
The default in the drop down box is Local Port ... Do not change that
Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name
Type in the \\computer name\printer name
ie. My computer's name is mucks_vista and the printer name is hpinkjet so I typed in \\mucks_vista\hpinkjet

... this may or may not work, we are dealing with MS here. :lol:

oh, and this is what I had to do to share my printer on Vista so that XP could "see" it ... http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx

I was lucky, it works. :D

Reaction score
Okay, sorry that took a while :D.
Success!!!!

It works!

Had to scroll through EVERY HP printer.... would you know it, the model i wanted was smack at the bottom :rolleyes:

Awww Brilliant! Thank you dearly Mucks! :D

Ask a Question