Windows Live Essentials - are they?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This is probably a naive question, so apologies in advance.

I am being offered the optional update "Windows Live Essentials" and I see that "Mail" is included. I am aware that it enables one to "get multiple email accounts in one program" (quoting from the Microsoft blurb.) So, I was just wondering, would I still be able to use Windows Mail (in Vista) or would it become "Live Mail?" .... :rolleyes:

Have others here downloaded the whole kit and kaboodle included in "Essentials" I'd be interested in your general opinions of it, if you don't mind sharing please.

Thanks very much for reading :D

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
This is probably a naive question, so apologies in advance.

I am being offered the optional update "Windows Live Essentials" and I see that "Mail" is included. I am aware that it enables one to "get multiple email accounts in one program" (quoting from the Microsoft blurb.) So, I was just wondering, would I still be able to use Windows Mail (in Vista) or would it become "Live Mail?" .... :rolleyes:

Have others here downloaded the whole kit and kaboodle included in "Essentials" I'd be interested in your general opinions of it, if you don't mind sharing please.

Thanks very much for reading :D

They are one and the same if you ask me. If you are comfortable with the one you have now, you don't need to download the other, just unchech the check box...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I use "live mail" in Vista, it will replace Vista mail, I get all my mail from all my other email accounts, including gmail & yahoo, saves me bothering to "log-on" to these accounts each time. I do check them out once in a while and empty the "junk/spam" folders. ;)

As for the rest of the packages, I have photos & msn, but they are crap ... Picasa beats live photos hands down & skype is a way better alternative than msn for me ... YMMV

:D

ps
Live mail has a very bad habit of ... Live Mail has stopped working ... one day MS may fix it, probably when they release Vista Second Edition (W7) and we all "need" the new mail program.

You can dump MS mail altogether and use one of the aquatic ape programs :p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies Madx and Mucks. I have previously ignored the download, because I was waiting to see how others would evaluate it.

I'm happy with Picasa and Skype too - both do what it says on the tin.

Regarding mail... I sort-of like to keep my 4 accounts separate, it's less confusing that way :lol: so looks like I can save some bandwidth ;)

Reaction score
Taffycat said:

I'm happy with Picasa and Skype too - both do what it says on the tin.

Both very handy....Skype saves me a small fortune when it comes to calling the folks in SA.....

As for mail I use Outlook...

Ask a Question