    1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting runtime.

    Thanks,

    SJ

    Simon Jones, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Simon Jones wrote:

    > I have a W2000 server that seems to have got installer
    > problems. Each time I run Explorer or IExplorer the
    > Windows Installer box pops up saying "Prepairing to
    > Install" three times, it then disapears and all seems
    > fine. I'm also unable to install certain apps where i get
    > the following error:
    >
    > 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting runtime.

    Hi

    For the 1607 error, one of this ones might apply:

    ERRDOC: Runtime Error -1607
    http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107070

    Error 1607 Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Run Time
    http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108340

    ERRDOC: Run-time Error 1607
    http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q107094

    For the Windows Installer pop ups:

    Most likely it is Windows Installer doing an on-demand installation...

    See "Every time I launch my application, Windows Installer performs an
    installation. How can I determine the cause of the on-demand installation?"
    in the FAQ at

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx

    To access the Application Log in the Event viewer,
    run the following command from Start/Run:

    eventvwr.msc

    If you are running Windows XP (or have access to a Windows XP computer,
    you can copy MSIZAP.EXE over to your Win2k computer):

    If a product code is listed there and this product is not really installed,
    MSIZAP.EXE is maybe able to fix this issue, it is included as a utility in
    the support tools installation package (on your WinXP CD) with some
    additional
    documentation included in suptools.chm (installed by suptools.msi).

    It will remove all Windows Installer entries for a product key that you feed
    it with.

    Note that if MSIZAP.EXE is used incorrectly it can affect other applications
    on the machine.

    Based on the documentation in
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msi/setup/msizap_exe.asp

    this is what you should run:

    msizap T {product code}

    an example:
    msizap T {FFB37294-1155-17D3-A809-0250BAAFB1AB}

    Alternatively, for a more user friendly interface to MSIZAP.EXE ,
    take a look at this article:

    Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\), Sep 29, 2004