Windows/Installer file "hidden" attribute

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Sep 6, 2006.

    I had migrated disk data to new larger disk and made new disk the boot disk.
    I feel this is what created problem, because afterwards Norton one-button
    check-up found many registry errors due to missing references, files, icons,
    etc and shortcut errors. On MS update site I was receiving error msg which
    said one reason couldn't update might be that .msp files weren't available.
    I keep my folder properties set to show all hidden and system files. After
    searching couldn't find the .msp files. Checked on another computer and
    files found in Windows/Installer file. Searching couldn't find this file on
    my computer. After trying various things, I used command prompt to view all
    files and saw Installer file was there but "hidden". I used command prompt
    to remove hidden attribute from file which then made it visible in Windows
    Explorer. However, once computer is rebooted file is reset to hidden and
    Windows Explorer can't see it again. When visible in Windows Explorer,
    properties show it as read-only but the "hidden" checkbox is unchecked but
    unavailable.

    After ongoing effort, Office Update did perform a scheduled update and
    downloaded & installed about 16 updates/patches that hadn't been installed
    since I migrated harddisks. Although I still get error msg if I go to update
    website and manually try to check for updates.

    If the Windows/Installer file is "invisible" to Windows Explorer or Windows
    search engine (even though folder options set to be viewable) does this
    create a problem if programs are looking for those files? Is there something
    I can do to make file a visible but hidden file in the same way as the other
    hidden system files? Why is the "hidden" checkbox unavailable to me in
    Windows if I remove hidden status through command prompt? Any ideas?

    Guest, Sep 6, 2006

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    What ..msp file are you talking about?

    In a command prompt...

    Type: cd\ and hit Enter

    Then type or paste: attrib /s /d *.msp and type Enter

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    LaurieS <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Sep 7, 2006

    Below is msg I get from Ofc Update Site:
    Quote:
    The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This
    may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

    1. You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.
    2. There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office
    Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try
    running detection again.
    3. Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office
    updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your
    computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation
    completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If
    the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may
    also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem.
    Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.
    4. You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows
    Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information
    see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if
    Unavailable.
    Unquote

    I searched for .msp files & couldn't "find". After looking at another WinXP
    computer found these files in Windows/Installer folder on that computer but
    my Windows/Installer file couldn't be found. Located it through command
    prompt search for all files/folders incl hidden & system. At command prompt
    removed "hidden" attribute from Installer folder & then it was visible in
    Windows Explorer until computer rebooted, then it reverted to really hidden
    even though folder options set to show hidden & system folders.
    If hidden attribute removed through command prompt, then file properties in
    Windows Explorer showed "hidden" checkbox unchecked and unavailable for me to
    check. When computer is rebooted, folder reverts to where Windows Explorer &
    Search can't see or find it.

    Question really was if anyone knew how a folder could be hidden to Windows
    Explorer & Search even though folder options was for hidden & system folders
    to be made visible. And, if anyone knew how to change this file's hidden
    attribute status to be permanently as it should be, same as other system &
    hidden folders. Is there a registry issue or what?

    Thank you.

    Guest, Sep 7, 2006

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    You could have deleted files from the WINDOWS Installer folder, I did.

    C:\WINDOWS\Installer
    or
    %windir%\Installer

    Paste this into Start | Run and click OK...

    %windir%\Installer

    You'll see a bunch of CLSID folders like
    {901B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}
    and a bunch of .msi files.

    {901B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} is an MS Word folder.

    To avoid all kinds of errors with applications such as MS Office, leave the
    C:\WINDOWS\Installer folder alone.

    FWIW, I deleted some MS Office related items and I now *CANNOT* get MS
    Office Updates.

    I suppose that if I reinstalled Word I could, but I figure the heck with it.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User