    I just have a quick question....Under the Advance tools is windows host
    files. Should deactivate these files or leave them alone?

    Thanks Ron

    Guest, Nov 29, 2005

  2. The entries on that list are individual lines in a text file. If the
    general form of each entry is 127.0.0.1 "some bad site"

    then you can leave them alone.

    However, to be certain, you need to look at all of them. Some third-party
    anti-spyware programs place these entries as a mechanism to keep you from
    visiting bad sites. However, viruses also use this mechanism to keep your
    machine from updating its antivirus signatures--so it cuts both ways, and
    every line needs to be examined.

    The effect of "deactivate" is to remove that line from the file. The
    wording in this section is confusing at best, I believe.

    Bill Sanderson, Nov 30, 2005

    Thanks ...

    Guest, Nov 30, 2005

    Bill,
    One more question...
    I tried to uninstall the antispyware and reinstall it to correct the
    mistakes I make on the windows host files by making them deactivate. The
    computer remembers the setup the incorrect way. How can I uninstall it and
    reinstall so I do not have to go back through each individual record and
    correct them.. Doing it individually is a very slow process which I really
    wish not to do again.
    Thanks Ron

    Guest, Nov 30, 2005
  5. If you want my straight recommendation, I'd leave the hosts file at the
    installed default, which contains exactly one active line--

    127.0.0.1 localhost

    Microsoft Antispyware will show this as an empty hosts file, so I'm not sure
    what the choices are that you are seeing. According to the help, you can
    choose to "deactivate" or "remove."

    Deactivate should be reversable--I'm not sure how this is done, but the
    logical way would be to turn the lines into comments--this is easily done.

    If you want to work with the hosts file, the Microsoft Antispyware system
    explorer hosts file explorer is a miserable way to do it. You'd be much
    happier with a tool made for the purpose, such as:

    http://www.funkytoad.com/hoster.htm

    This has a one button solution to take you back to the original hosts file.
    If you want to fill it up again with sites that it will prevent you from
    accessing, I believe it is Spybot Search and Destroy that provides that
    list, or, you can use the Microsoft MVP's hosts file, found here:

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    and updated just 3 days ago.

    Bill Sanderson, Nov 30, 2005