Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publ

Discussion in 'Windows XP Internet Explorer' started by Guest, Mar 29, 2006.

    After loggin to my a secure website to view my store cameras I receive the
    following message:

    Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.
    Name: s2pqview.cab
    Publisher: Unknown Publisher.

    I am using xp-pro sp2 also xp-home sp2 with IE6. Everything works well on
    Windows 98se with IE6.

    When I navigate to the page I allow the ActiveX blocker to download the page
    and I see the camera program. Then I get the message that the .cab has been
    blocked. I have entered the site as a trusted site and reset my security
    settings to the lowest settings but still am not able to download the .cab.
    There is NO option to save the file to disk.

    ie. the camera program loads ok but it needs to download the .cab as a
    viewer. This is a Samsung camera console unit that has a webserver and dydns
    server built in. The security certificate is out of date but this is a
    legitimate program and I need to use it even if it is out of date. I have
    saved the certificate to my trusted certificates but that doesn't help.

    Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can workaround this problem??
    There must be SOME way to allow this program!!

    Thanks,
    tech232

    Guest, Mar 29, 2006

    Jan Il Guest

    Hi tech232 :)

    Try the following and see if it helps:

    First: It is very important that the time of your computer clock is correct.
    Every Certificate has an expiration and start date. When your machine clock
    time or date is off, even just a few minutes or hours, it may cause the
    Certificates to be seen as invalid or expired, which can cause various
    problems. So, be sure your machine date and time are always set correctly.

    If still no joy....

    Go to IE>Tools>Internet Options>Advanced
    Scroll down to the Security Section
    Check "Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid"

    UNCheck the following
    "Check for publisher's certificate revocation"
    "Warn about invalid site certificates"

    If that does not work, you might also try:

    Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab>highlight Internet
    Click Custom level tab>scroll down and Uncheck "Don't prompt for
    client certificate selection when no certificates or only one certificate
    exists."

    also..

    How can I turn off the "security alert" dialog boxes that appears when I
    open a webpage
    http://itinfo.mit.edu/answer?id=5228

    How to configure the Pop-up Blocker in IE
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843016

    Description of the Internet Explorer Information Bar in Windows XP SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843017

    Hope this helps.

    Jan :)
    MS MVP - Windows IE/OE [DTS/AumHa]
    Smiles are meant to be shared,
    that's why they're so contagious.

    Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
    How to make a good newsgroup post:
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Jan Il, Mar 29, 2006

    Re: Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the

    Thanks Jan; I've tried all of that. After reading the popup message again I
    noticed it said that 'Windows' has blocked the software! I think I should be
    looking for a Windows setting rather than IE setting. The software that is
    being blocked is a .cab file. I wonder what Windows setting might check for
    invalid certificates?

    Can anyone think of what Windows setting might be blocking the software?

    Guest, Mar 29, 2006

    Re: Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the

    The answer is!!!!!!
    Uninstall sp2, install the web cam software from the webcam site, then
    reinstall sp2. BRAIN SURGERY WITH AN AXE!!

    MS Chat support assures me that all of my programs will work after the
    reinstall of sp2. We'll see??? Web Cam now works and downloading sp2
    because of some MS question about using the CD that I already have. The
    uninstall of sp2 was uneventful.

    The problem is that I have to do this on several other computers. There
    should be an easier way!

    Guest, Mar 29, 2006

    Jan Il Guest

    Re: Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the

    Hi tech232 :)

    > The answer is!!!!!!
    > Uninstall sp2, install the web cam software from the webcam site, then
    > reinstall sp2. BRAIN SURGERY WITH AN AXE!!
    >
    > MS Chat support assures me that all of my programs will work after the
    > reinstall of sp2. We'll see??? Web Cam now works and downloading sp2
    > because of some MS question about using the CD that I already have. The
    > uninstall of sp2 was uneventful.
    >
    > The problem is that I have to do this on several other computers. There
    > should be an easier way!

    I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve your problem. Good job!

    Thank you very much for posting back and letting us know what worked for
    you, and for the benefit of other readers who might have a similar problem.

    Jan Il, Mar 30, 2006