Windows Firewall . . . ARRGGHH!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Guest, Dec 4, 2005.

    Sorry for the duplicate post.

    I've been trying all day to setup a simple LAN at home (not my first, BTW)
    with my desktop and laptop using WinXP Home Ed on both computers. On my
    desktop, in Windows Firewall settings / Advanced / the following message
    appears -

    "The network connection settings have become corrupted. To fix this, click
    Restore Defaults. This will delete all of you settings for Windows Firewall,
    and it might cause some programs to stop working." The laptop does not
    display that message.

    "Restore Defaults" changes nothing. I reset TCP/IP, but that changed
    nothing either.

    Although both computers can access the Internet, (thru my LinkSys WRT54G
    router), the two computers cannot "see" each other. My desktop can
    successfully ping itself and the router, but not the laptop. The laptop can
    only ping the router, not itself or the desktop.

    Any clues on what might be the problem?

    Thanks.

    Guest, Dec 4, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "Dave" <> wrote:
    >Sorry for the duplicate post.
    >
    >I've been trying all day to setup a simple LAN at home (not my first, BTW)
    >with my desktop and laptop using WinXP Home Ed on both computers. On my
    >desktop, in Windows Firewall settings / Advanced / the following message
    >appears -
    >
    >"The network connection settings have become corrupted. To fix this, click
    >Restore Defaults. This will delete all of you settings for Windows Firewall,
    >and it might cause some programs to stop working." The laptop does not
    >display that message.
    >
    >"Restore Defaults" changes nothing. I reset TCP/IP, but that changed
    >nothing either.
    >
    >Although both computers can access the Internet, (thru my LinkSys WRT54G
    >router), the two computers cannot "see" each other. My desktop can
    >successfully ping itself and the router, but not the laptop. The laptop can
    >only ping the router, not itself or the desktop.
    >
    >Any clues on what might be the problem?
    >
    >Thanks.

    One possible solution is to delete the existing network connection and
    create a new one. To do that:

    1. Go to Device Manager and un-install the network adapter that
    connects to the LAN.

    2. Reboot and let WinXP detect and install then network adapter.

    If that doesn't solve the problem, repair the WinSock catalog:

    1. If the desktop has WinXP Service Pack 2, type this line at a
    command prompt and reboot:

    netsh winsock reset catalog

    2. If the computer has an earlier version of WinXP, download and run
    WinSock XP Fixfrom this web site, then reboot:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Dec 4, 2005

    Thanks for the suggestions, Steve. I tried both procedures, but neither of
    them corrects the problem.

    Dave

    Guest, Dec 4, 2005

    Jim Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry for the duplicate post.
    >
    > I've been trying all day to setup a simple LAN at home (not my first, BTW)
    > with my desktop and laptop using WinXP Home Ed on both computers. On my
    > desktop, in Windows Firewall settings / Advanced / the following message
    > appears -
    >
    > "The network connection settings have become corrupted. To fix this,
    > click
    > Restore Defaults. This will delete all of you settings for Windows
    > Firewall,
    > and it might cause some programs to stop working." The laptop does not
    > display that message.
    >
    > "Restore Defaults" changes nothing. I reset TCP/IP, but that changed
    > nothing either.
    >
    > Although both computers can access the Internet, (thru my LinkSys WRT54G
    > router), the two computers cannot "see" each other. My desktop can
    > successfully ping itself and the router, but not the laptop. The laptop
    > can
    > only ping the router, not itself or the desktop.

    Every time that this has happened to me, the problem was that the firewall
    was not allowing icmp packets to go through. I am using ZoneAlarm, but the
    symptons are the same.
    Jim

    Jim, Dec 4, 2005

    Jim -

    There was no message in your reply. Did I miss something, somehow?

    Dave

    Guest, Dec 5, 2005

    Sorry, I just saw your reply text. I disabled ZoneAlarm prior to trying to
    set up my LAN, 'cause I didn't want to risk firewall conflicts. So, I'm
    guessing that isn't the cause of my current problems.

    Thanks, Dave.

    Guest, Dec 5, 2005

    Chuck Guest

    On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 19:16:02 -0800, "Dave" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jim" wrote:
    >

    >> "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry for the duplicate post.
    >> >
    >> > I've been trying all day to setup a simple LAN at home (not my first, BTW)
    >> > with my desktop and laptop using WinXP Home Ed on both computers. On my
    >> > desktop, in Windows Firewall settings / Advanced / the following message
    >> > appears -
    >> >
    >> > "The network connection settings have become corrupted. To fix this,
    >> > click
    >> > Restore Defaults. This will delete all of you settings for Windows
    >> > Firewall,
    >> > and it might cause some programs to stop working." The laptop does not
    >> > display that message.
    >> >
    >> > "Restore Defaults" changes nothing. I reset TCP/IP, but that changed
    >> > nothing either.
    >> >
    >> > Although both computers can access the Internet, (thru my LinkSys WRT54G
    >> > router), the two computers cannot "see" each other. My desktop can
    >> > successfully ping itself and the router, but not the laptop. The laptop
    >> > can
    >> > only ping the router, not itself or the desktop.

    >> Every time that this has happened to me, the problem was that the firewall
    >> was not allowing icmp packets to go through. I am using ZoneAlarm, but the
    >> symptons are the same.
    >> Jim
    >> >
    >> > Any clues on what might be the problem?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

    >Sorry, I just saw your reply text. I disabled ZoneAlarm prior to trying to
    >set up my LAN, 'cause I didn't want to risk firewall conflicts. So, I'm
    >guessing that isn't the cause of my current problems.
    >
    >Thanks, Dave.

    Dave,

    Disabling Zone Alarm, when ZA itself is a problem, doesn't always produce the
    right results.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Dec 5, 2005

    Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Everything is up and running, now,
    after taking the following actions:

    Desktop -
    Uninstalled ZoneAlarm
    Disabled MS AntiSpyware
    Disabled Norton Anti-Virus
    Uninstalled XP SP2

    Laptop -
    Uninstalled Norton Internet Security
    Diabled MS AntiSpyware
    Uninstalled XP SP2

    Re-enabled MS AntiSpyware on both machines, and Norton AV on the desktop.
    Did not re-enable Norton IS on the laptop (got to come up with AV protection,
    though).
    Re-installed all XP Home security updates on both machines, but NOT SP2!

    Now the laptop sees the desktop, the desktop sees the laptop (both wired and
    wireless connections), and all is right with the world . . . for now.

    Guest, Dec 6, 2005