windows failed to open the ramdisk image

Discussion in 'Windows XP Embedded' started by Luke Alcatel, May 16, 2006.

  1. Luke Alcatel

    Luke Alcatel Guest

    I know the issue has been discussed before but it seems the cause was either
    images too large for the amount of RAM or some other configuration error.

    I have been using RBS and SDI ramdisk images for quite a while but it is
    only recently that we have been testing on production hardware in large
    scale. The image is about 90K, I set my ramdisk to be 150K to allow for a
    small swap file (needed for performance monitoring) and for temp files. We
    have 1GB of RAM. With the same image on the same machines, sometimes the
    image loads fine and other times we get:

    Windows could not start due to an error while booting from a RAMDISK.
    Windows failed to open the RAMDISK image.

    The hardware is high-end compact PCI Pentium-M blades. The network is
    gigabit but the performance of the RBS has always appeared woeful and I
    never see the link utilization above 5%. Given that the remote boot
    sometimes works and sometimes doesn't I think I should be thinking about
    hardware but I wanted to check with the community before confronting the
    hardware vendor.

    Luke

    Luke Alcatel, May 16, 2006

  2. Luke Alcatel

    Dick Dawson Guest

    No repsonses here so I'd like to follow up with a related question. Per
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...icrosoftWindowsXPEmbeddedWithServicePack2.asp
    these message mean:

    If a Preboot eXecution Environment (PXE) client attempts to download an
    image that is too large to run in memory, the following error message is
    displayed: "Windows could not start due to an error while booting from a
    RAMDISK. Windows failed to open the RAMDISK image." This error means that
    the client computer does not have enough RAM for the current RamDisk image
    to run.

    This doesn't seem to apply to Luke's problem. It seems to me that if that
    were the only explanation a much more sensible message would be:

    The RAMDISK image is too large for this computer's main memory.

    Are there other reasons that this message gets generated? Is there any
    error checking (checksums, sequence number checks) done on the tftp packets
    to insure that the image arrives intact at the client?

    JT

    Dick Dawson, May 18, 2006