WINDOWS EXPLORER / INTERNET EXPLORER NO LONGER WORKING

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Guest, Jan 20, 2005.

    I’ve been trying to post in these discussions, but my AOL keeps
    disconnecting. So if this is the 3rd time you read this, sorry.

    My Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer are no longer opening. I’m not
    sure if it’s an intrusion from an outside site or if it happened after I
    downloaded SP2 (which I uninstalled, just to make sure – and the errors still
    occur).

    When I try to open these applications, here’s what I get: “Windows had
    encountered a problem and must close†and click here for the technical detail
    says: The following files will be included in the error report:
    C:\documents and settings\myname\Temp\WER117.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txtâ€. It
    says this for both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer – the only
    difference is the WER file (WER119).

    Then the error log says for Internet Explorer “Faulting application
    iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module kernel32.dll, version
    5.1.2600.1560, fault address 0x000138b2.
    The error log for Windows Explorer is exactly the same except for “faulting
    application explorer.exe ………â€

    HELP!!!! It seems like this is something very simple to fix, and I just
    can figure it out. I tried a restore point – didn’t work. I can’t to any
    of my files because Windows Exp doesn’t work. I really don’t want to
    restore the whole computer. It’s an Emachines that already had the software
    installed – so I have no installation discs- Just a restore CD.

    --
    thank you

    lacyjane

    Guest, Jan 20, 2005

    Service Pack 2 (DEP) will close WinExplorer....if everything isnt right. It
    looks like a complete restore is in order.

    Guest, Jan 20, 2005

    Juan,

    If I do a complete restore, how do I download my files (documents and
    pictures) to a CD if I can't get into Windows Explorer to perform this action?

    Guest, Jan 22, 2005