Windows 7 Windows Experience Index - Not Computing!!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the Windows Experience Index in Windows 7, a problem that seems to be quite popular. When I click on "Rate this computer" it goes through the regular motions testing various things and when it's completed I get this error.

"The Windows Experience Index for your system could not be computed"
Cannot complete assessment.
The assessment or other operation did not complete successfully. this is due to an error being reported from the operating system, driver, or other component.

I have all the latest drivers and the computer is new (i7 975, 12GB DDR3, ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, GTX 295. I updated to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Ultimate, 3 times now with clean install. It worked fine with Vista, scored 5.9.

I've checked the internet like a mad man and I can find nothing that is absolute. While this is not really a big issue I'd still like to know why it isn't working correctly.

Thank you.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You scored over the max ... MS will catch up later.

Enjoy your system. :)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You scored over the max ... MS will catch up later.

Enjoy your system. :)

I don't see how this is possible. Surely it would just give me the top score of 7.9. Vista gave me the top score.

Reaction score
Just an FYI for you all. I think the problem may have something to do with permissions. I've noticed that Windows 7 is quite pernickety when you try and alter certain things. For example, I had a few issues with disappearing icons with some Adobe applications and when I tried to set them back Windows told me I needed "administrator permissions"... I am the administrator!? Anyhow, I sorted that out by a fresh install of Windows 7 and it fixed that particular problem. When the WEI finishes it writes an XML file, so I'm thinking Windows 7 is not allowing this to happen... I think it as something to do with "taking ownership" and "granting permissions".

Ask a Question