Windows XP Windows doesn't load?

Reaction score
After a recent move I booted up my computer to find I have a problem. When I turn it on the usual loading screens (bios, wndows loading, etc) do not appear. Instead it goes straight to the desktop, but it is not right either. My usual icons are not there, there is no taskbar (and no it is not hidden). Mouse and keyboard work but nothing else does. CTRL ALT DELETE doesnt work, right click then properties doesnt work. Its like the only thing that loaded was the desktop background, but the rest of the hard drive didn't. I am running windows xp. THe computer was working perfectly fine before I moved it. I tried booting in safe mode but there is no way to do it.

I checked to see if every thing was connected properly, but all the cables are in solid. Please let me know if you can help me out.

Reaction score
have you knock the pc or something?

you do have a problem if your bios screen is,nt loading.

Try and see if your graphic card is set in right.

Back up anything if you can and re-format the harddrive.

If this does,nt work you could of damage your pc moving it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How long have you left your PC at the desktop background, does it still stay like that after 10 mins? Safe mode would be the way to go, but if it won't even go into that then it does suggest a bigger problem. Did you press F8 on start up to try and enter safe mode?

Reaction score
So I have made some progress on the issue since I posted last. I figure it has to be something to do with the move because it worked perfectly fine before. I took out the hard drive and put it in another computer...it works fine, loads up and everything.

I checked all the components...graphics card, memory, add on cards, and all cables are connected solid. So this leads me to believe that something is wrong with the bios. Like I said it does not load up at all, it goes straight to "desktop". I say that with quotes because its basically just the background picture, nothing works.

So any advice on troubleshooting the bios? Perhaps something jarred the mobo?

And it I cannot get it to load in safe mode, tapping F8 when starting doesnt do anything. And I have left it for long periods of time and nothing changes.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Different mobos use different keys to get to bios . I've had to use , F2 , F8, or DELETE at start up depending on which machine I'm using . Its worth trying any of the three keys I've mentioned .

user.gif

Reaction score
Why dont you clear the BIOS once by identifying the BIOS jumper on your motherboard. You may have to refer your motherboard manual once for this.

Ask a Question