  1. Ken W

    Ken W Guest

    How do I get to the Windows Disk Management Console? I need to make a change.

    Ken W, Jan 12, 2010

  2. Ken W

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ken.

    The "official" way is to click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools
    | Computer Management | Disk Management. But this is a long click path and
    it makes me feel like I'm working through a keyhole, because of all the
    screen taken up by the wide frames of the Microsoft Management Console.

    My favorite way is just to click Start, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter.

    Either way, you'll need Administrator credentials because this tool lets you
    do some pretty serious things to your computer system. And, if you have
    several HDDs, you may have to wait a minute or two while Disk Management
    rounds up all the information to put on the screen.

    Then Maximize the window so that you can see all that Disk Management is
    trying to tell you, and widen at least the Status column so you can see some
    of the important information there, such as which is/are the System and Boot
    volumes. DM does not remember these settings; you'll have to do it again
    each time you start it.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA