    complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this product
    is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it.
    Thank you for help!

    Guest, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Are you offered updates at WindowsUpdate? If so, can you install them?

    Bill Sanderson, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Well - that was a little adventure. I grabbed a laptop and started it in
    Windows XP SP2, safe mode. I was impressed to see that the Windows Defender
    Service started in safe mode, so I tried both the MSASCUI.exe gui program
    and MPCMDrun.exe--the command line program that does scanning.

    I did mpcmdrun.exe scan scantype 1

    and then ran msascui.exe, and observed the quickscan--all that seemed to be
    fine.

    What was not fine was that the install indicated that the sigs had never
    been updated--1.00.00.

    So, after the quickscan, I restarted normally, and found it remained with
    that appearance. I checked my Microsoft Update history and found that
    indeed, two sets of updates had been installed successfully a few days ago.

    Something is rotten... So I dropped to a command prompt and played around
    with the as_sigs.msi file in \program files\windows defender. Ran it (no
    change.) Did msiexec /x as_sigs.msi, followed by as_sigs.msi--and things
    seemed to perk up--suddenly the UI went green and the dates and versions
    were back where they should have been.

    So--safe mode scanning on XP should be functional, but strange things may
    happen, as well..

    Bill Sanderson, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Sorry--wrong thread.

    Bill Sanderson, Feb 21, 2006

    Guest, Feb 21, 2006

    "ratchet" wrote:

    > complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this product
    > is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it.
    > Thank you for help!

    Well, I couldn't take the pressure and downloaded Defender again tonight and
    got the same error!

    Guest, Feb 22, 2006
  7. Is the machine up to date on all critical security patches?

    Bill Sanderson, Feb 23, 2006

    Guest, Feb 24, 2006
  9. I'm at a loss on this one. Consider re-doing windows installer 3.1, and
    doing an update or repair install of Windows Defender?

    (control panel, add or remove programs, windows defender

    change, update

    or
    (click here for support informatio), repair.

    Bill Sanderson, Feb 28, 2006

    >I had the same error code after doing a reinstallation. Solution was an
    update to Windows Installer 3.1v2. Then running the windows installer to
    remove the Windows Defender definitions. Then open Windows Defender to check
    for updates, works okay now.

    Guest, May 20, 2006
  11. Excellent--thanks!

    Bill Sanderson MVP, May 20, 2006