    protect him from Spyware.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve Mavronis, Oct 23, 2008

  2. Typos - the malware program was actually called XP Antispyware 2009. I
    corrected typos below within quotes:

    Steve Mavronis, Oct 23, 2008

  3. Steve Mavronis

    Dave M Guest

    Hi Steve;

    See if KB555957's advice on un-installing Windows Defender in XP will help.
    Do not try this on a Vista System where Defender is generally not removable.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555957
    --
    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, Oct 23, 2008
  4. That doesn't work because there is no file to run that uninstall command on.
    Like I said the files were uninstalled by my brother before system restore
    was run to take it back a week, therefore the XP registry from that previous
    week old restore point thinks Defender is still installed settings-wise even
    though the files are missing.

    Steve

    Steve Mavronis, Oct 23, 2008
  5. Steve Mavronis

    nass Guest

    "Steve Mavronis" wrote:

    > On my Dad's laptop running Windows XP, I can't get Windows Defender to
    > install because it falsely thinks a previous version is installed so setup
    > won't continue with uninstalling the old version first. Actually it is sort
    > of being faked out because the laptop had gotten the XP Antivirus 2009
    > malware on it and my brother used System Restore to take it back a week
    > before this happened but he had also removed Windows Defender before doing
    > that. We were able to manually remove the malware so that part is now fixed.
    > But the part that messed up is because my brother had also mistakenly
    > uninstalled Windows Defender (which had errors due to the malware
    > interfering) via Add/Remove Programs before he ran System Restore to take
    > the registry back a week before. So the Windows Registry settings still
    > thinks that Windows Defender is still installed even though the program was
    > actually uninstalled beforehand if you see what I mean. How can I remove all
    > old Windows Defender related registry entries or at least the ones affecting
    > re-installing Defender that is telling it that a previous version is
    > installed because of the system restore process after Defender was removed?
    > I would like to get Windows Defender back on my Dad's laptop again to help
    > protect him from Spyware.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    Run disk clean up on your Drive.
    You can download this tool o run clean up:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloading-slim
    Use both App and Registry option to clean u Orphans left from old
    uninstalled software.

    Read this thread
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...95f-663a9bdbd12f&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&p=1

    HTH,