    Thanking you in advance for your answers. BigGuy
    --
    Shoot for the moon if you miss you land amoung the stars. ~ Les Brown

    Guest, Jun 22, 2007

    Robinb Guest

    when you scroll down in WD you need to put a check mark in Real Time
    protection options
    use real time protection (recommended)
    there is a scroll bar on the right and sometimes it looks like it only goes
    a bit down when you first turn on the program but it actually goes all the
    way down (i think MS should have made this bar a different color for users
    to see it.

    Also if you go into control panel/administrative tools/services
    and scroll down till you see windows defender- it should say across
    "started" and automatic.

    Also if you set it to scan daily and check to see if it did then you will
    know it is working in realtime too.
    and if you check off in Choose if WD should notify you about:
    software that has not been classified for risks and changes made to your
    computer by software that is permitted to run (check marks) and when you add
    new software or make any changes and WD doesn't popup and yell you will know
    something is wrong.

    robin

    robin

    Robinb, Jun 22, 2007

    Hello BG,

    Also, if you want to see Real Time Protection in action, try the EICAR the
    test file...

    From Joe Faulhaber [MSFT]:
    "We've had EICAR in our definitions for about two months now, which also
    means we're not communicating the content of the definitions very well, but
    that's another issue.

    For those of you who want to know what we're talking about, the EICAR group
    came up with a harmless file detected by antivirus products so you can
    safely verify the product's working. If you haven't seen Windows Defender
    detect something, visit http://eicar.org, download the 68 byte file
    eicar.com.txt, and copy it to your startup folder. Your AV solution (that
    you should be running in addition to Windows Defender) will also pick it
    up."

    By rating a post as an answer, you help others find the answer more quickly,
    you give the
    person who posted the answer credit for their contribution, and you help
    increase the quality of answers in the discussion group.

    ÆŽÆǦΞᴌ
    --

    BELIEF
    A man must not swallow more beliefs than he can digest. -----Havelock Ellis

    Guest, Jun 22, 2007
  4. It is on by default. The try icon is, in some cases, set to only display if
    there is a problem which requires user interaction, so that can be confusing
    to some.

    To see the options in Tools, Options, you need to scroll down using the
    scroll bar on the window. If you read carefully, you can also find the
    option to display the tray icon at all times, if that will be reassuring.

    Engel's suggestion to use the Eicar test string is an excellent one---this
    is a great and safe way to see whether your anti-malware software is working
    at a basic level, and what an alert will look like.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Jun 22, 2007

    Robinb Guest

    just be on alert because your virus protection might jump ahead of WD and
    scream first
    robin

    Robinb, Jun 22, 2007

    Hi BigGuy and hi to all that answered the questions for him, i sent him here
    from Home users. Glad you found the right place, Welcome Ron

    Guest, Jun 22, 2007