    Restarting , the same message box is showed again. If I tray to start
    manually, the same message box is showed.
    Someone has a hint about ?

    Guest, May 3, 2006

    "Shintaro Furumoto" wrote:

    > Windows Defender was installed automatically, removing the Windows
    > Antispyware thas was installed. But it failed to inicialize, and shows a
    > message box:
    >
    > "Application failed to inicialize: 0x800106ba . a problem caused Windows
    > Defender Service to stop. To start the service restart the computer or search
    > help and Support on how to start a service manually. "
    >
    > Restarting , the same message box is showed again. If I tray to start
    > manually, the same message box is showed.
    > Someone has a hint about ?

    I have had the same problem, and when i type "net start windefend" in the
    command prompt (black and white screen), I get:

    The Windows Defender Service service is starting.
    The Windows Defender Service service could not be started.

    A system error has occurred.

    System error 2 has occurred.

    I don't know if this helps anyone, but this is a tough problem to fix, it
    seems. I am also running Windows 2KPro.

    Guest, May 4, 2006

    I followed Chris hint, opened the commmand prompt, and typed and executed
    the command : "net start windefend" . and get the follow response:
    The Windows Defender Service service is starting.
    The Windows Defender Service service was started successfully.

    In my case, the Windows XP Pro version is 5.1.2600
    After then, I clicked the Windows Defender of intalled progrmas list, and
    Windows Defender (beta2) version 1.1. 1347.0 , Engine version 1.1.1372.0 ,
    Definion version 1.14.1436.4 , is showed normally.
    I check for Updates, and executed a quick scan, and the Defender worked,
    scanned 41042 objects, and returned that there are no unwanted or harmfull
    software is detected, fortunately.
    Later I´ll execute the full scan, but at this moment, seems, this problem
    was fixed.
    Thank you Chris, It was kind of your to send a response.

    Guest, May 4, 2006
  4. We had the exact same problem and found the following solution:

    We use Novell NetWare for our file and print services. We had un-installed Client for Microsoft Networks in the Network Control Panel. I just recently discovered that Windows Defender requires Client for Windows Networks to be installed, but not to be enabled (it does not have to be check-marked).

    Ed Kirkpatrick, May 14, 2006

    WillieW Guest

    SOLUTION TO: Windows Defender Error Message 0x800106ba

    FINALLY this worked!!
    Thnx alot!!
    :)

    WillieW, Jul 21, 2006

    waynedgillard

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Defender

    I am running 2000 pro with all updates and keep getting this message application failed to initalise 0x800106ba. If i play around with service startup account I can get defender to run however when you restart the box same error message. I have tried every fix I could find on the net but to no avail, anyone anywhwere have any ideas???????????????????

    (PS IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS)

    waynedgillard, Sep 27, 2006

    this worked brilliantly, thank you.

    Guest, Oct 24, 2006

    deepakbubna

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello,
    I found a weird but successful way of solving the issue. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the software by downloading it again from www.microsoft.com :lol: Cheers !

    Deepak.

    deepakbubna, Dec 30, 2006

    Guest, Jan 7, 2007

    I successfully installed Windows Defender sometime ago now after installing
    the Client for Micosoft Networks. However recently it has failed to
    initialize and am getting the error message 0x800106ba again. I checked the
    Client for Micosoft Networks and noticed it had somehow become unticked
    (uninstalled?). I reinstalled it, and Windows Defender, but am still getting
    the error message on start up. I also have Sygate Personal Firewall, and use
    Yahoo Messenger 7 which are both failing to start up, even with uninstall and
    reinstall. Is anyone else having any similar problems? I might have moved
    some program files around recently so will look in to whether or not this has
    affected anything. Any feedback appreciated.

    Guest, Jan 9, 2007

    Seems Sygate Personal Firewall is having some issues with v5.6.0 2808, and
    yahoo messenger having their own issues. Haven't sussed out Defender yet.

    Guest, Jan 9, 2007

    waves_shore

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    0x800106ba

    "Application failed to inicialize: 0x800106ba . a problem caused Windows
    Defender Service to stop. To start the service restart the computer or search
    help and Support on how to start a service manually. "

    Restarting , the same message box is showed again. If I tray to start
    manually, the same message box is showed.
    Someone has a hint about ?[/QUOTE]

    waves_shore, Jan 10, 2007

    waves_shore

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    windows defender error

    waves_shore, Jan 10, 2007

    dave m

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    dave m, Jan 10, 2007

    LuigiLong

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Morgantown, W.Va.
    Just overcame the same issue, and did a bit of everything suggested earlier:

    Typed in "net start windefend" at the command prompt (Start key, Run, typed cmd, then Enter key, until you get the black background with white writing, much like the old DOS prompt);

    The command did NOT execute. I then went to Start, Add/Remove Programs, and removed Windows Defender (tried to repair, but this proved unsuccesful also);

    Went to www.microsoft.com and downloaded latest version of Windows Defender, and everything went smoothly after that.

    I had noticed, however, when returning to the Defender home page, that the Beta version of Defender I had been using (along w/ Windows Live OneCare) expired on 31DEC2006.

    Thanks to everyone for collectively helping me to resolve this problem.

    LuigiLong, Jan 17, 2007

    preynolds2

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Me too!!

    I'm getting the same message. I cannot find out how to fix it.

    preynolds2, Apr 12, 2007

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2002
    Messages:
    16,738
    Likes Received:
    12
    Ian, Jan 31, 2009

    soumik_mukherjee

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you

    i went to services.msc and make it automatic and then statred it and it works.thanks a lot for sharing the solution

    soumik_mukherjee, Mar 20, 2009

    discov8

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    :bow: Tried them all, then tried post #7 worked a treat many thanks

    discov8, Mar 28, 2009

    loachspit

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Solution

    I came across the solution by accident and thought I'd share it with the world before moving on since I had this problem forever and would never go away. PS, I had Vista 64 and had this error ever since installing McAfee shortly after buying my computer. I'd always be told that the "Application Failed to Initialize: 0x800106ba."

    1) I first started Windows Defender (This probably isn't necessary but happened to be the first thing I did)

    Start --> "Run" --> Type in "net start windefend" (without the quotes of course).

    (If that didn't do anything, that's okay... Just move on to #2 below)

    2) The following I believe is the real fix (the step above probably wasn't necessary but was what I did before doing the stuff below:

    Go to your Control Panel --> Systems and Maintenance --> Administrative Tools --> Double Click on the “Services” icon --> Select Windows Defender --> Click on “Stop the service” --> Then restart it by clicking on “Start the service”.

    For whatever reason, the above combination (probably the result of just #2) seemed to work.

    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
    loachspit, Jul 24, 2009