Windows Defender compatibility.

Discussion in 'Spyware Application Compatibility' started by Guest, Apr 1, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?
    --
    CW4 "Go Ordnance"
     
    Guest, Apr 1, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Guest

    someone Guest

    I've been doing that for months, along with various others, such as SpyBot,
    Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, AdAware. Be forewarned that Spysweeper is
    a memory hog, and so is Spybot. I shut down SpyBot most of the time,
    otherwise my Ram is almost always at 100%.

    "Barry95" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?
    > --
    > CW4 "Go Ordnance"
     
    someone, Apr 1, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Guest

    Dave M Guest

    A year ago I'd have just said an unqualified yes, but since SpySweeper 5.0
    was released, I think it depends on what security items in total you have
    running in real time. That includes what Anti-Virus products you are
    running. The potential for conflict is high, as "someone" alludes to
    above. I'm running a backlevel version of SS that's over a year old, not
    wanting to inflict havoc on my system.

    The good news is that you can try SS for 30 days free to see what happens.
    Although be forewarned that removing SS may involve more than a simple
    add/remove from control panel, and you may need to get Webroot support
    involved to totally remove the product if that turns out to be necessary.
    See these forums for more detail:

    http://www.castlecops.com/f163-Spysweeper.html

    --

    Regards, Dave


    Barry95 wrote:
    > Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?
     
    Dave M, Apr 1, 2007
    #3
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the feedback. I just recently removed my Norton anti-virus and am
    using Webroot Spy Sweeper and Vrus protection. But MS Defender looks good to
    me. I'm leary of just depending on SS.
    --
    CW4 "Go Ordnance"


    "someone" wrote:

    > I've been doing that for months, along with various others, such as SpyBot,
    > Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, AdAware. Be forewarned that Spysweeper is
    > a memory hog, and so is Spybot. I shut down SpyBot most of the time,
    > otherwise my Ram is almost always at 100%.
    >
    > "Barry95" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?
    > > --
    > > CW4 "Go Ordnance"

    >
    >
    >
     
    Guest, Apr 2, 2007
    #4
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Dave,

    I appreciate the response. I just resently cxl'd my Norton and went with
    the WSS & Anti-virus package. I've been using WSS for over a year with
    complete success. I also just increased my ram to 1 GB. However, I'm
    thinking strongly about going to MS Vista and Windows Defender as well. I'll
    check out the link you provided.

    Thanks again
    --
    CW4 "Go Ordnance"


    "Dave M" wrote:

    > A year ago I'd have just said an unqualified yes, but since SpySweeper 5.0
    > was released, I think it depends on what security items in total you have
    > running in real time. That includes what Anti-Virus products you are
    > running. The potential for conflict is high, as "someone" alludes to
    > above. I'm running a backlevel version of SS that's over a year old, not
    > wanting to inflict havoc on my system.
    >
    > The good news is that you can try SS for 30 days free to see what happens.
    > Although be forewarned that removing SS may involve more than a simple
    > add/remove from control panel, and you may need to get Webroot support
    > involved to totally remove the product if that turns out to be necessary.
    > See these forums for more detail:
    >
    > http://www.castlecops.com/f163-Spysweeper.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards, Dave
    >
    >
    > Barry95 wrote:
    > > Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?

    >
    >
    >
     
    Guest, Apr 2, 2007
    #5
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    May I interpret your response to Barry95 to mean that I can run Windows
    Defender and Adaware on the same computer without compatiblity issues?

    --
    Before you cross the finish line, check to see if you''''re in the right race.


    "someone" wrote:

    > I've been doing that for months, along with various others, such as SpyBot,
    > Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, AdAware. Be forewarned that Spysweeper is
    > a memory hog, and so is Spybot. I shut down SpyBot most of the time,
    > otherwise my Ram is almost always at 100%.
    >
    > "Barry95" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?
    > > --
    > > CW4 "Go Ordnance"

    >
    >
    >
     
    Guest, Jun 14, 2007
    #6
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Lyrical17" wrote:

    > May I interpret your response to Barry95 to mean that I can run Windows
    > Defender and Adaware on the same computer without compatiblity issues?


    I've been using Defender (running with real time protection) together with
    AdAware SE (as an on-demand scanner) for a long time with no problems at all.
    In fact it's a common combination for folk to use.

    However, the new version of AdAware (2007) that's just been released is
    causing a lot of problems, so I'd steer clear of that until the dust settles
    if I were you. But the previous version, AdAware SE, is fine.
     
    Guest, Jun 14, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Victor

    Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Compatibility with Windows 98 SE

    Victor, Feb 27, 2005, in forum: Spyware Application Compatibility
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    602
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    Feb 27, 2005
  2. AFM

    Windows ME compatibility

    AFM, Mar 12, 2005, in forum: Spyware Application Compatibility
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    214
  3. Guest

    defender compatibility with xp-64

    Guest, Feb 26, 2006, in forum: Spyware Application Compatibility
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    340
    Bill Sanderson
    Feb 28, 2006
  4. Guest

    NOD32 and Windows Defender compatibility

    Guest, Jun 7, 2006, in forum: Spyware Application Compatibility
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,745
    Guest
    Jul 3, 2006
  5. Guest

    Windows Defender vs. Windows Live OneCare

    Guest, Oct 24, 2006, in forum: Spyware Application Compatibility
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    645
    Guest
    Oct 24, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page