    Action:</b> Unauthorized access Reaction: Unauthorized access stopped

    Other folks still noting the same activity?
    Wonder if MS is working with Symantec to correct this problem?

    Guest, Mar 3, 2006

    I have the same problem and I had already posted about it.
    Does someone know some news about the solution of this conflict between WD
    beta 2 and "Symantec Resource Protector" of Norton/Symantec AV?
    Thanks

    Guest, Mar 3, 2006

    I have exactly the same problem. Also have it after running Lavasoft
    adaware. Am still waiting for someone to come up with a viable solution.

    Guest, Mar 3, 2006

    I have NAV 2005, but it's probably the same option in 2006:
    Nav, options, miscellaneous: enable protection for my Symantec product.

    I think that if that is checked, you will get alerts when apps like WD or
    Adaware try to scan the Symantec files.

    For WD, you could try Tools, General settings, scroll down to advanced
    options and add the path to the NAV files to the box do not scan. Not sure if
    just C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus (which is where NAV itself is
    installed by default) is sufficient or whether you would also have to add the
    paths to other Symantec files (on my system, C:\Program Files\Symantec,
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared)

    Alternatively uncheck the above mentioned option in NAV (but in my view that
    is less safe, as potentially trojans or viruses could attack and disable NAV)

    Similarly in Adaware SE, Click on the cog wheel to open configuration
    settings, select folders to scan, uncheck the Nav folder(s).

    Guest, Mar 4, 2006

    Sorry my previous post suggestion does not work as I expected (just tried it,
    should have done so before posting :)).

    Certainly if you uncheck the option in NAV, you won't get those logs, but
    adding the paths to WD as I suggested still generated the log entries in NAV.
    Maybe there are more paths to Symantec files..

    Guest, Mar 4, 2006
  6. I don't have any news about this apparent conflict. The known issues:

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/releasenotes.mspx

    state that there are no known incompatibilities--that's the source of that
    statement.

    I don't believe these messages are anything to be concerned about, except to
    the extent that the "noise" is either annoying (if you are getting alerts)
    or might mask a genuine alert.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 4, 2006

    Hi Bill,
    Not sure if you are one of the MS MVP's monitoring the bugs discussed
    regarding Win Defender. You are very helpful and much appreciated. It would
    be very nice if one of the MS Defender team who monitors the discussion board
    would acknowledge noting a problem, then all of us could rest more assured MS
    will at least look into the complaint.

    One note about the Win Defender Tools\GeneraSettings\AdvancedOptions: If you
    do place a "path" statement there, as it says will work, without the
    executable, Win Defender does not "not" scan that path. You still get the NAV
    denied access in their Event Viewer, for example using C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\.
    I have not tried the full path to a specific executable to see if that stops
    Win Defender from scanning that file yet. Work stilll needs to be done in
    this area.
    --
    John E. Van Kirk

    Guest, Mar 4, 2006

    Hallo Bill,
    in my opinion this is not an apparent conflict but a real conflict.
    If "Symantec Resource Protector" has turned on, besides the appearance of
    the logs of access not authorized, as soon as windows has started, the icon
    tray of Norton Antivirus immediately appears with a red cross (the real time
    protection isn't active); then, only after some minutes, everything returns
    normal and Norton becomes active.
    During these minutes, I can use the pc, but without antivirus protection!
    So I use now the computer with "Symantec Resource Protector" turned off,
    waiting for a solution to the issue.

    P.S. I apologize for my bad English.

    Guest, Mar 5, 2006
  9. Can you provide me exact repro steps (what button to push, what you see,
    etc.) So we can reproduce the condition?

    --
    -steve

    Steve Dodson [MSFT]
    Windows Defender Beta Lead
    MCSE, CISSP
    http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod

    originated.

    Steve Dodson [MSFT], Apr 14, 2006
  10. If you want more on this issue, check messages from "techie007" in these
    groups--not sure exactly which. When I get home later, I'll get you
    something from his posts--he has all the details, as I recall.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Apr 14, 2006