    Thanks,
    --
    Milt

    Guest, Jan 2, 2007

  2. Milt- you've managed to work Windows Defender into the subject header, but I
    don't really see its relevance to the content of your message.

    What version of windows are these machines running? Typically, on question
    1, you right click the Ethernet connection in control panel, networks,choose
    properties, click on the advanced tab, then the settings tab for the
    firewall. Click the exceptions tab. There should be a checkbox for file
    and printer sharing. Check that, and ok or apply to get out . Do that on
    each machine.

    Be aware that if you are running a security suite from any of the major and
    not-so-major vendors, they may also include firewall functionality--and I
    can't tell you how to work with those products.

    I don't understand your second question at all, I'm afraid--can you say a
    bit more--give an example?

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Jan 4, 2007

    Milt

    Guest, Jan 4, 2007
  4. >>
    >> Bill, thanks for your time - the reason Windows Defender was included in
    >> the heading is that I think the download included changes to the Windows
    >> Firewall which resulted in some error messages. However, I think now all
    >> is well. My Linksys wireless router has a firewall in it, sooooo, I
    >> disabled both the Trend Micro and Windows firewalls and presto, my little
    >> network is cookin' again. The rep from Trend Micro was very helpful, and
    >> told me I only needed one firewall.

    Windows Defender doesn't make changes to firewall settings, although
    Microsoft's OneCare security suite, which includes Windows Defender's
    functionality--does have its own firewall which is significantly different
    from the standard Windows firewall.

    The Trend Micro support person was correct, but not completely so: The
    router functionality does provide some of the benefits of a firewall, in
    that it does not allow unsolicited traffic into your home network from the
    Internet.

    There is additional benefit, however, in running the Windows firewall, even
    behind a router.

    For example, if someone should plug in a laptop infected with a virus which
    exploited a flaw in some Microsoft or third-party service which was running,
    but not in use, on your machines, it would not be able to exploit that flaw
    because you would not have opened those ports in the firewall on your
    systems.

    This is perhaps not a very convincing case--but I run the Windows firewall
    on every system I administer, both in domain networks in offices, and on my
    home machines, even though these networks are also protected by either
    commercial firewall products or routers as well.

    This isn't something I would lose any sleep over, but running the Windows
    firewall, in particular, since it only needs to be configured for inbound
    traffic types--doesn't take much effort, and might be helpful in the long
    run.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Jan 4, 2007