    support on how to start the service manually."

    How do I start the service manually?

    Help....

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    I have just encountered the same problem, so any help would be appreciated.....

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    I also had the same problem this morning, when none of my computers would
    complete the boot sequence properly (0x800106ba error) !
    I have WINDOWS ONE CARE on these computers. Why were they not updated
    automatically? At the very least a notification would of been nice.

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    Hi,
    Unfortumally that doesn't run...

    History
    last week I try to up grade defender but aech time it sid don(t found
    defender.msi Impossible to upgrade...!!!
    To Day when i start my PC I have the pop up :
    " Application failed to initialize :0X800106ba. A problem caused Windows
    Defender Service to stop . TO Start the service , restart your PC or search
    Help and support on How to start a service manualy"
    Restart did gived the same problem.
    install (try) the new defender doesn't finish I did receved the same popup.

    If you go in the program install and deinstall program from XP I found
    defender
    click on technical informations click repared it ask the CDrom
    "windowsdefender disk !!! (I did never got one).
    At this moment I copy the up grade but no possibility to install.

    Thank you for help
    Francis from Belgium

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    Hello Louise,

    It helps those answering your questions if you provide your operating system.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Please check your Time and Date
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307938&sd=tech

    Have a look at this article.It may be relevant to your problem.
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...14e1&mid=8e89b510-8777-4631-8121-210a5f6e14e1

    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...&p=1&tid=7645666d-d867-4354-8ad6-6c73c403957f

    For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

    I hope this post is helpful.

    Let us know how it works ºut.

    Еиçеl

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION - FROM MICROSOFT!
    1. Go to www.microsoft.com
    2. In the Search Window (upper right corner), type: windows installer cleanup
    3. Click on the first heading, "Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp
    Utility".
    4. Scroll down and click on "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
    package now."
    5. Save it to your Desktop or any folder you wish.
    6. Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
    7. A window will pop up. Scroll down to the Windows Defender line.
    8. Select or highlight that line (I had two such entries).
    9. Click the Remove button. Then click the Exit button.
    10. Go to www.microsoft.com and download and install the new Windows
    Defender program Version 1.1.1593.0
    11. That's it. Happy computing.

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    Thanks to everyone on this thread. You've really helped. I'm sure thousands
    are having the same problem today.

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    Hi ken
    than's for your help
    Iddo done what you write but I did have the same problem
    Thank's for helping
    regards
    francis

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    I have defender in my startup and can't get past the error. Any suggestions?
    Can't get around it to get online or anything

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    Hi

    Unfortumatly nothing help me I have always the same problem . When I start
    my PC the pop up appears whith "application faied to initialize 0x800106ba a
    problem caused by Windows Defende service to stop..."

    PC is on XP pro sp2 and well up grade automaticly Avast 4,7 home édition for
    protection ( http://www.avast.com/index_fre.html )

    What I see when I charge the new defender on my PC a windows DOS is quickly
    opened and closed! It sems that it run but if I try to scan the pop up
    application failed... come the same one if I click on software Explorers (in
    the start menu).

    In the security center Defender is runing..... What I see in the menu
    "ajouter ou supprimer des programmes " technicals informations on the
    technical support : version 1,1,1347,8. Last utilisation 8 may 2006 ! and
    http:go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=55273
    repare option doesn't change the problem. (new defender x64 program).

    May be something how have no connections but it is befor the problem whith
    defender to up grade IE6 to IE7
    You can see the reporte in annexe behond.
    for that I have stop avast and clear it and I try to charge Defender and IE7
    => no change!!
    Now it is more than 3 days I am on this problem scanning in windows sites
    locking for solutions upgrade GDI+ nothing nothing solve this problem.
    is some one have a solution it will be very nice new year.
    I don't understand those Windows there are all windows products and windows
    make problem and it is IMPOSSIBLE to have easily a solution!!!!!!! That not
    realy serious for windows product.
    regards Francis
    Belgium french speaking

    0.765: 2007/01/01 20:43:26.390 (local)
    0.765: e:\3ea46feb973df6d6600182659ec716\update\update.exe (version 6.2.29.0)
    0.875: Hotfix started with following command line: /quiet /norestart /er
    /log:C:\WINDOWS
    7.187: IECUSTOM: Scanning for proper registry permissions...
    7.734: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\.application
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open\command
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    9.078: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    13.281: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\jpegfile\CLSID
    13.281: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\jpegfile
    13.406: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\pngfile\CLSID
    13.406: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\pngfile
    18.343: IECUSTOM: Scanning for proper registry permissions...
    18.906: IECUSTOM: Scanning for proper registry permissions...
    19.343: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\.application
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open\command
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell\Open
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile\shell
    19.703: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\giffile
    19.984: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\jpegfile\CLSID
    19.984: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\jpegfile
    20.015: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\pngfile\CLSID
    20.015: IECUSTOM: Unwriteable key HKCR\pngfile
    20.578: IECUSTOM: Backing up registry permissions...
    20.672: IECUSTOM: Finished backing up registry permissions...
    20.672: IECUSTOM: Setting new registry permissions...
    20.718: IECUSTOM: Unable to clear DACLs HKCR\pngfile
    20.718: IECUSTOM: Finished setting new registry permissions...
    20.718: IECUSTOM: An error occured verifying registry permissions. ERROR:
    0x80070534
    20.718: DoInstallation: CustomizeCall Failed: 0x3f5
    20.734: IECUSTOM: Restoring registry permissions...
    20.984: IECUSTOM: Finished restoring registry permissions...
    21.000: Impossible d'écrire la clé du Registre de configuration.
    21.000: L'installation du Internet Explorer 7 ne s'est pas terminée.
    21.000: Update.exe extended error code = 0x3f5

    Guest, Jan 2, 2007

    No matter I try running the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility or the Genuine
    Check during validation for downloading Windows Defender, I got error message
    "xxx.exe is not a valid Win32 application" such that I failed to complete the
    procedure you mentioned. Anyone could help please?

    Guest, Jan 3, 2007

    I downloaded the Windows Defender in another site
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_microsoft_antispyware/
    instead, no validation check is needed.

    Guest, Jan 3, 2007

    Hi usagi,

    FYI.
    The reason you receive "X is not a valid Win32 application" is because the
    download has corrupted. This is due to lost/corrupt packets transferred
    during the download.

    Please redownload and try again.

    Guest, Jan 3, 2007

    THANK YOU! It worked! The only thing that was not clear for me was at point
    8. I removed Windows Defender 1.1.1347.8. Under it was a line with Windows
    Defender Signatures (1.20.1459.12). I did not remove that, because I wasn't
    sure.
    However, after downloading and installing the new Windows Defender it
    worked! So apparently I had removed enough.
    Engel recommended also to go to microsoft.com so thank you too, but I an
    item by item description as Ken2 gave helped for me.

    Guest, Jan 6, 2007

    Hi Cath,

    No problem , Glad it worked for you and fixed the problem.

    Guest, Jan 6, 2007

    Guest, Jan 7, 2007

    I followed the steps you suggested. But when I rebooted after installing the
    new version of Defender, I got the following message:

    MSASCui.exe - Unable to locate component

    The application failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found.
    Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

    Guest, Jan 21, 2007

    I am getting the same error message and have seen the solution of
    uninstalling the beta version of Defender and reinstalling the latest
    version. My concern is: I am currently running Norton Internet Security
    Suite 2007. Will solving the "Windows Defender failed to initialize" error
    cause a war between Defender and NAV?

    Guest, Apr 6, 2007