Windows 7 Windows announce 7 pricing !!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
In the US, you can get Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for $49.99...
:rolleyes:

The estimated retail pricing for the Upgrade versions of Windows 7 in the US are as follows: ...

Note while that these "E" versions do apply to the UK, the UK has different (and higher) pricing than the rest of the EU, presumably because the UK has not adopted the Euro.
:lol:

What's that in ten bob notes mate?
It's a guesstimate ...

;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Was just teasing with me opening quote there folks
laughingsmiley.gif
Knew someone would bite
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Was just teasing with me opening quote there folks
laughingsmiley.gif
Knew someone would bite
laughingsmiley.gif

Backpedal, crap and bullshit, frankly old son :)

There comes a point when those who attempt to force open source down the populace's throats can actually have the complete opposite effect.

Look, note, and question :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Backpedal, crap and bullshit, frankly old son :)

There comes a point when those who attempt to force open source down the populace's throats can actually have the complete opposite effect.

Look, note, and question :)

What on earth has me posts to do with "forcing open source down the populaces throat" ?? I posted as it gives the possible pricing for 7. Posted in a way that would get a rise out of folk about M$'s global pricing. As usual we get stuffed here in the UK.. Nowt to do with open source or pedaling etc. :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
What on earth has me posts to do with "forcing open source down the populaces throat" ??

Do you really need to ask that?

If I were to quote every instance in the last 14 days where you've offered Linux as an alternative to Windows it would be a lengthy post.

The fact is most people who post here with Windows problems have trouble getting their head round Microsoft's offering let alone a Linux Distro.

In the majority of cases your suggestions will just confuse.

I'm not saying stop recommending Linux, but you are becoming a bit predictable and I for one just groan now whenever I see the suggestion.

And as you know I'm trying Linux myself. It's all easy until it comes to loading: applications, drivers and patches, then it can become a nightmare, that's the truth.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
... until it comes to loading: applications, drivers and patches, then it can become a nightmare, that's the truth.

Scary... you sound just like Preston Gralla.

laughingsmiley.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Urmas said:
... until it comes to loading: applications, drivers and patches, then it can become a nightmare, that's the truth.
He speak truth ...

:wave:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Honestly? OK... I'll bite:

1) Applications - the only problems I can imagine come when installing - NEITHER from repositories, NOR using (.deb, .rpm etc.) distribution specific packages - source packages. Dunno... WHY? Why do that?

2) Drivers. OK. A [small] part of hardware sucks. A Broadcom wifi card can be a nightmare. On the other hand, the vast majority of hardware "just works".

3) Patches... what patches? As long as stuff is installed via package management, updates are no problem. On the other hand if a particularly nasty piece of hardware has required "command line stuff" like recompiling a kernel... then leave it. It works, don't update it every time you have a chance.

He speak truth, me speak truth. Einstein relative.

:p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'd post but this is a Windows 7 section. Don't know who hi-jacked the thread :p
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas said:
Honestly? OK... I'll bite:

1) Applications - the only problems I can imagine come when installing - NEITHER from repositories, NOR using (.deb, .rpm etc.) distribution specific packages - source packages. Dunno... WHY? Why do that?

Obviously, repository apps are easy. But download a tar file of something independent of the repository and you will need some knowledge other than point and click.

Urmas said:
2) Drivers. OK. A [small] part of hardware sucks. A Broadcom wifi card can be a nightmare. On the other hand, the vast majority of hardware "just works".

Agreed, depending on the distro, it's when you come across one that doesn't 'just work' it gets difficult.

Urmas said:
3) Patches... what patches? As long as stuff is installed via package management, updates are no problem. On the other hand if a particularly nasty piece of hardware has required "command line stuff" like recompiling a kernel... then leave it. It works, don't update it every time you have a chance.

He speak truth, me speak truth. Einstein relative.

:p

I was referring solely to games patches.

Some games do actually work in Linux without using WINE.

And when you have to patch those games or load mods and/or extra maps, you will need help.

To reiterate my stance on this matter:

I would LOVE to just use Linux and ditch Windows, I really would.

But Linux is difficult.

And Linux, really, is not for gamers.

Microsoft are liars and charge lots of money.

Apple are quite good, imo, but they charge even more money. For everything.

And there we have it.

I am seriously considering using Linux for as many applications as possible and totally ignoring Games within Linux.

Using Linux for work (office) stuff, web browsing, e-mail, photo editing, audio editing and if I'm really lucky, video-editing.

This is a serious consideration on my part, it would be nice to just go with the flow and do stuff for free.

We shall see, it's possibly just a pipe dream, dunno.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I am seriously considering using Linux for as many applications as possible and totally ignoring Games within Linux.

Using Linux for work (office) stuff, web browsing, e-mail, photo editing, audio editing and if I'm really lucky, video-editing.
That's the way to go... if you're a gamer, use Windows for games. Use Linux for the rest.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas said:
Scary... you sound just like Preston Gralla.

laughingsmiley.gif

I was just reading through this thread again and came across this - so I Googled Preston Gralla.

I suppose I can do at times, yes, but the way I see it any one person who constantly promotes one Operating system over another and blindly accuses rival Operating Systems of shortcomings is straight out of the Preston Gralla camp as well to a certain degree.

I will acknowledge that Microsoft supporters, in general, spout a lot more garbage than their opposite numbers in the Linux camp but all sides are guilty of the same crime.

I try and ensure that when I make a criticism or give praise, I get my facts correct. If that makes me sound like this Preston Gralla character, so be it.

But - you won't find me constantly bangin' on about Linux proclaiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread cos it isn't.

Things aren't as clear cut as 'Windows is crap, Linux is brilliant' it just isn't but judging by the way some people espouse Linux a person may be forgiven for assuming that was the case.

I will criticise an OS's faults where they exist and as I see them and if that upsets some supporter's sensibilities well that's tough luck.

I look at what's available, and always think 'How can I use that to my advantage?' I will not blindly support a product out of misplaced loyalty like some starstruck football fan but rather look at the product coolly then judge it on it's merits and difficulties.

I've offered my views on Windows and Linux often enough here for most regulars to know what I think but briefly:

I don't like Microsoft because they charge too much for their product and are dirty underhanded con merchants. But it works for me, I mostly enjoy using it and I can play games within it.

I like Linux because it's free, Open Source, has Honour and has many things which in my opinion are superior to software used in Windows. And it's mostly free.

But as Linux is not a cash cow there is inferior driver support, virtually no good games will work with it and apart from that you need to learn console commands which is akin to having to learn DOS 6.22 all over again.

Another facet of Linux that turns me away is this inverted snobbery and the assumption by many Linux users that all those who use Windows are fools whilst they are the greatest gift to intelligentsia since Einstein.

Yes, I know Microsoft are crooks and a thoroughly nasty piece of work and I know a sweetly tuned Linux OS works well and purrs.

But - let's not sweep the truth under the carpet. My tirade is neither pro or anti any OS, merely a call for people to open their eyes, understand and make a choice. And that choice can mean using both. People need to know the advantages and disadvantages of both OS's and Linux devotees telling prospective users it's easy to master are, frankly, spouting a mistruth.

I haven't brought Apple into the equation as I'm unqualified to comment on their OS, having never used one in my life.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I haven't brought Apple into the equation as I'm unqualified to comment on their OS, having never used one in my life.
Indeed... where oh where are all the Mac users?

kuvakaappaus2.png

happywave.gif

Ask a Question