Windows already activated asking again?

G

My computer crashed and we had to do a complete system restore. When this was done it asked for us to activate widows, when we click on the keys to activate it says that windows is already activated and to click ok to exit. Now we only have 27 days left and then windows will quit working. I try to get online support and they said I needed to contact the computer company and when I contact them they tell me to do a system restore which I have already done. Can someone please help me. Thanks

R

Richard Urban

Who is the "they" that told you to contact the computer company. Activation
is activation, and Microsoft takes care of that!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

N

neil

If you activated Windows yourself when you first got the computer then MS
help & support should activate it again over the phone.
If the version of XP you have came pre-activated from the company you bought
it from then your version is an OEM.
If you did not purchase a full version CD then persist with the company that
sold it to you it is their responsibility. (I just hope they haven't sold
you an illegal version)

Neil
Chell said:
My computer crashed and we had to do a complete system restore. When this
was done it asked for us to activate widows, when we click on the keys to
activate it says that windows is already activated and to click ok to exit.
Now we only have 27 days left and then windows will quit working. I try to
get online support and they said I needed to contact the computer company
and when I contact them they tell me to do a system restore which I have
already done. Can someone please help me. Thanks

R

Ricky

Try this courtesey of Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

Start/run regsvr32 regwizc.dll
Then start/run regsvr32 licdll.dll

If this doesn't help try these steps:

Start the computer in Safe mode by hitting F8 at bootup. Start/run
regedit.
Delete the following keys:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

Exit the registry editor, restart normally.

G

Microsoft did! When I went to the online support and put in my activation code/product id it would not let me go any further and told me to contact the computer company that I bought my computer from. Then when I called the support line for HP they told me to do a system reboot again, and that is not solving anything! :blush:(

G

The Start / run did not work and now I got an error message saying that Back web data directory could not be found? I will try the registry tomorrow, I know it is scary to do anything in there so I will wait till I am fully awake!

Reaction score
For everyone out there who might have this problem.

We all know you're getting the error since you're using a pirated version of XP - I'm not gonna be a wussy who calls you a thief and refuses to help you since we all have our reasons to pirate XP, and some of them might even be legitimate.

The crack you used is probably the same one everyone else who is having this problem used. The issue arises since the crack changes the winlogon.exe file to give you an error if not activated, and not let you logon. You applied the crack after a fresh install of XP. Works great. Then, updates come along and SP2 changes the winlogon.exe. All you need to do is crack it again.

I didn't do that, and I waited until day 0. I couldn't log in to my user even through safe mode to recrack it, like some people were able to do. I tried repairing my XP installation, and that downgraded me to SP2 since I used a SP1 disc, but it didn't remove my activation information. I was in a pickle. I had my own and my other user on this computers data locked away.

Luckily, I had set aside a partition for Ubuntu that I never installed since I'm lazy. I used that partition to install XP again, then ran the crack from that user but browsed my winlogon.exe in the WINDOWS folder somewhere in the other disc, and cracked it. That saved me having to backup everything and reinstall xp. Phew.

I hope that helps some people, although you kinda need to have a partition to do that. Otherwise, I hope it lets you know you need to re-crack it before day 0! I looked all over the interwebs for this solution, and none fit my situation. Spread the knowledge!

Reaction score
here is what you do

if your computer has already ran out of time and it will no longer let you get passed the welcome screen follow the following steps and it will take care of that issue.
reboot in safe mode with command prompt
once in safe mode type cd\ then after you see C:\ type reg edit
follow this path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer , and then click Modify Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate.
reboot
start windows normaly
click start run %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe
activate windows over phone not internet

really works

DO NOT USE PIRATED SOFTWARE :0

Ask a Question