Word Windows 7 64-bit:Problem with Word 2010 (32-bit) Acting Very Slow

Reaction score
Hello,

I have Windows 7 (64-bit) installed on my laptop (it has 4 GB of ram) and I first installed MS Office Pro 2003. When I started typing my paper in Word 2003, I noticed that by trying to open another application program everything becomes slowed down--there's a delay. My friend advised that I remove 2003 because although Windows 7 x64 is so new and it has a 32-bit compatibility mode, MS Office suite 2003 is probably so outdated. His advice was to either install Office 2007 or Office 2010.

I installed Office 2010 home and student version as the 32-bit version (note: during installation setup you get the choice of installing x32 or x64--I chose the former since it said that most people use the x32 installation, I read this on microsoft's webpage about choosing which bit type to install) and I still get the same problem, as in Office 2003.

Strangely enough, I haven't seen complaints about this and I am very puzzled because this should be a very common occurence. It is hard for me to go to other applications without having to close my Word document.

What am I supposed to do to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm using Office 2003 with Win 7 64 Bit with no problems whatsoever, no problems with slowing down during multitasking.

This is on a desktop with a dual core processor running at 2.4Ghz.

If your Win 7 is a 64 Bit version I would have thought it advisable to have installed the 64 Bit version of Office 2010.

You can always uninstall the 32 Bit version and change to the 64 Bit version and see if it makes any difference.

I suspect there is no problem, it's probably just the restrictions of your laptop, what processor is it using and at what speed is it running? Hard disk speed?

Another alternative is to install Open Office and see if it makes any difference. Open Office is free and it's Word processor and Spreadsheet are compatible with MS Office documents. OO will run ok alongside MSO.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Flops, The developers at Open Office were unhappy with the way Oracle were developing OO and forked to create Libre the majority of the developers went with Libre and created a totally free program. A lot of Libre is the same as OO and many of OO's tutorials will still be relevant. Nearly every GNU/Linux distro has adopted Libre.
Interestingly this week Oracle have now stated that they are making OO 100% free. The clever money is saying that Libre will stay as the open software of choice and that OO will slowly wither and die.

:cool:

Reaction score
Before I install other software, I found these posts from Microsoft:

(1) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

(2) http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_install/ms-word-2010-freezes-on-my-windows-7-professional/ee487b81-abfb-4160-9bd9-aa4342fb996c?page=1

In the second link, this person described having the program Endnote, which causes the delay. I too have Endnote installed on my laptop.

So my new question is, before uninstalling anything, and after reading what was being said in these forums, do you think I should uninstall Endnote first?

What is the best procedure now that I found this information from others?

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Before I install other software, I found these posts from Microsoft:

(1) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

(2) http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_install/ms-word-2010-freezes-on-my-windows-7-professional/ee487b81-abfb-4160-9bd9-aa4342fb996c?page=1

In the second link, this person described having the program Endnote, which causes the delay. I too have Endnote installed on my laptop.

So my new question is, before uninstalling anything, and after reading what was being said in these forums, do you think I should uninstall Endnote first?

What is the best procedure now that I found this information from others?

Thanks,
Ed

I'm running One Note as part of the MS Office 2003 suite within Win 7 64 Bit and have experienced no problems. I'm assuming One Note is much the same thing as End Note?

Try uninstalling End Note and see what happens is the obvious answer, you can always reinstall it if it makes no difference.

Those solutions at your first link are worth a try - have you tried them?

Again, what speed is your processor? And is the hard disk 5400rpm or 7200rpm?

I still think it's probably the laptop's workings and not a software problem but I could be wrong.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Trying to download it but keeps crashing on me!:(

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Try the download via torrent and you should have no problems. When downloading open source it is always good manners to download via torrents a s this shares out the load. I always think that if you are getting something for free then it is good manners to try and help out the folks who are supplying the free software. :cool:

Reaction score
Dear Floopybootstop,

Interesting name by the way!

Here are my computer's specs.:

(1) Harddrive: Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT 500GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

(2) RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model CT2KIT25664AC800

(3) Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73 GHz

(4) Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (I bought this model in 2008 and it came with Windows Vista x32)

(5) note: I replaced the previous memory with what I have listed above as (2) as well as the harddrive listed above as (1).

(6) OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) with Service Pack 1 installed

(7) MS Office: MS Office 2010 Home and Student (32-bit)

(8) Endnote: Endnote X (Thomson; www.endnote.com); Also, EndNote X is not the same type of program as OneNote (Microsoft). EndNote X is a bibliography/citation manager that works with MS Word.

----------

I am going to remove Endnote X to see what happens, I will let you know.

Thanks,
Ed

Reaction score
I just uninstalled Endnote X.

Everything works fast now--no delays when you have one or more programs opened along with MS Word being opened. I can easily switch between programs and I get no delays--and these delays were 5-10 second long delays. Also I can go to the start button on the bottom left of the desktop screen and it isn't showing any delays either.

There must be a compatibility issue with EndNote X and Windows 7 x64. Reason being and not necessarily Word 2010 because when I had Word 2003 installed on this Windows 7 x64 operating system I still had the same problem. Another clue to this conclusion is that I used to have Vista x32, Word 2003, and EndNote X and everything was fast.

I think I need to buy EndNote X4, which is the newest version. Do you agree?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think I need to buy EndNote X4, which is the newest version. Do you agree?

Really not sure but I'd say - likely.

Expensive outlay if it doesn't work though.

Anyhow, pleased you got the problem sorted :thumb:

It did prove my assumptions about the laptop were wrong though, lol :blush:

Reaction score
Hi to anyone reading this who has this problem on their pc, I have the solution!

I just purchased Endnote X4 (Thomson Reuters) and installed it. Everything works fine now, there are no delays when Word is opened.

As I was reading the Endnote X4 instruction booklet (it comes as a pdf file after you install it), it says that Endnote X4 is compatible with MS Office 2010 (32-bit). When you install Office 2010, you get the option to install either a 32-bit version (recommended) or a 64-bit (advanced). If you are in the same boat as me, don't be tempted to install the 64-bit version because you'll probably end up with compatibility problems with either Endnote or other software that won't understand the 64-bit.

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers,
Ed

Ask a Question