Windows 2000 Server Dial-up connection Problem: Continuous Traffic

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Networking' started by GK, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. GK

    GK Guest

    Hi,

    My home PC runs a Windows 2000 Server (SP4) setup for dial-up with my
    ISP. Whenever I connect, there is continuous traffic being generated
    (seen in 'Bytes Sent' and 'Bytes Received' fields in the 'Connection
    Status' dialog) eventhough I have NO Internet apps running (like a
    browser, IM client, mail client, etc.).

    I have stopped most of the services like www, DNS service, etc. My
    up-to-date Protector Plus antivirus does not show any virus activity.

    This traffic chokes up my connection and can hardly browse. Another
    (possibly useful) piece of info is that about 1K bytes are being sent
    every second and the received bytes is about 5 times that.

    Please let me know what could be wrong in the configuration.

    Much appreciated.

    regards,
    - gk

    GK, Apr 6, 2004

  2. GK

    J Houston Guest

    "GK" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My home PC runs a Windows 2000 Server (SP4) setup for dial-up with my
    > ISP. Whenever I connect, there is continuous traffic being generated
    > (seen in 'Bytes Sent' and 'Bytes Received' fields in the 'Connection
    > Status' dialog) eventhough I have NO Internet apps running (like a
    > browser, IM client, mail client, etc.).
    >
    > I have stopped most of the services like www, DNS service, etc. My
    > up-to-date Protector Plus antivirus does not show any virus activity.
    >
    > This traffic chokes up my connection and can hardly browse. Another
    > (possibly useful) piece of info is that about 1K bytes are being sent
    > every second and the received bytes is about 5 times that.
    >
    > Please let me know what could be wrong in the configuration.

    Sounds distinctly like a virus to me, my friend. Go to
    and do a virus scan. I had the same problem on our office
    server (Win Server 2003) prior to us getting broadband.

    James H

    J Houston, Apr 6, 2004

  3. GK

    Bob Haroche Guest

    Perhaps you have some spyware installed? You might try the freeware SpyBot
    Search and Destroy to track it down. Google about for it.

    You might also try a Network packet sniffer to read the packets being sent
    out. There are free versions at www.nonags.com.

    Good luck.

    Regards,
    Bob Haroche