    luckly had an old 98 disk and than I format again and it can't find setup
    files! IT says to move files to hardrive? There is no longer an OS on the PC.
    What can I do?

    Guest, May 17, 2006

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Check the pc, mobo or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios
    and or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Setup inspects your computer's hardware configuration and then begins to
    install the Setup and driver files. When the Windows 2000 Professional
    screen appears, press ENTER to set up Windows 2000 Professional.

    Read the license agreement, and then press the F8 key to accept the terms of
    the license agreement and continue the installation.

    When the Windows 2000 Professional Setup screen appears, all the existing
    partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard
    disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partitions Press D to delete an
    existing partition, If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must
    then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System
    partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this
    step for each of the existing partitions When all the partitions are deleted
    press F3 to exit setup, (to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with
    your new install) then restart the pc then when you get to this point in
    setup again select the unpartitioned space, and then press C to create a new
    partition and specify the size (if required). Windows will by default use
    all available space.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Then

    Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CF-8850-4531-B52B-BF28B324C662&displaylang=en

    During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    proceed.

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, May 17, 2006

    JCO Guest

    I've seen this happen before when I had a bad motherboard.
    I could not pin down the problem because each time I did an install it could
    of been a different file that it could not copy.

    Good luck.

    JCO, May 22, 2006