Windows 2000 not completely booting from drive on new ATA/133 adaptor

C. Creighton

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get a solution for this that I might be overlooking.

I'm running Windows 2000 and just installed Service Pack 4.
I just got a new Maxtor ATA/133 IDE Adaptor... I installed the drivers (the
latest vesion off the website) for it before hooking up any drives - like
the instructions said. Then hooked up a slave drive, and booted into
Windows. The drive works fine and is accessible in windows, UDMA 5. Then I
tried to switch all my drives (3 total) over to the adaptor card and disable
all the motherboard ide ports and changed the first boot device to SCSI.
Windows begins to boot, and gets to the last screen before it goes to the
login prompt (the color win2k boot screen) with the progress bar all the way
done. At that point, the main boot drive (a Western Digital 45 GB drive)
begins to make clicking noises. It clicks several times, then pauses for a
short time and then begins the clicking process again. I can't figure out
why it's doing that.

Maxtor Support says it's because Windows 2000 doesn't like the drive being
moved to another device... licensing security issues. But I've never heard
of Win2k having that licensing 'feature', (I believe only WinXP has that
type of licensing security with regard to the system snapshot and replacing
hardware ) and it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't give me any type of
error and would mostly finish booting. There's no entry in the event log
either. They recommended that I run Repair or reinstall windows 2000 so that
it can accept the the boot drive with windows 2000 on it is now booting off
the ide adaptor. They did acknowledge that the adaptor could be bad though,
so i might try testing it in another system later.

I don't think really know what they're talking about with regards to this
though and suspect that it's either an issue with windows 2000 or the
adaptor card driver and the hard drive.

Does anyone have any ideas of something to try or previous experience
regarding this issue or similiar?

Thanks,
-Courtney

Wolf Kirchmeir

Maxtor Support says it's because Windows 2000 doesn't like the drive being
moved to another device... licensing security issues. But I've never heard
of Win2k having that licensing 'feature',

It exists. It's the reason why W2K doesn't like "moving to new hardware."

By moving all your drives to SCSI, you have in effect "moved W2K to new
hardware." The following post from Bruce Chambers may help you, and at any
rate direct you to support.microcft.com, which is a site you should bookmark
- you'll need it again.
From: "Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
Subject: Re: New Computer, but W2K refuses to run
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:43:17 -0600

Greetings --

Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old one
(same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need to perform a
repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least (and don't
forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different
Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q2
49694

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

----
having both at once. -- RAH

David said:
I just built a new computer - Athlon2.6 Ghz. When I tried
to swap my current, and not old, hard drive into my new
machine it won't run. I reinstall back into my old
computer, Duron 1 Ghz, and the operating system works
fine. A reinstall into the new machine still causes
problems and I cannot even go into safe-mode without a
crash. Any ideas to assist this migration without
reformatting?

Thank you,

David

--