Windows 2000 hangs when running dos based time and attendance programme when communicating through C

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Hardware' started by plastic_man, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. plastic_man

    plastic_man Guest

    Windows 2000 hangs when running dos based time and attendance programme when
    communicating through COM port.

    We have OLD time and attendance software that is DOS based.

    I have tried to run it on a windows 2000 machine and although some bits work
    when we try and communicate through the COM port it hangs.

    Any help would be appreciated - in the mean time i'll keep trying to work it
    out.

    Fixes tried

    COM port settings changed to that of the old machine.

    Full administrator permissions on the win 2000.

    Windows 2000 on SP4

    Thanks

    Plastic_Man

    plastic_man, Mar 15, 2004

  2. In news:%,
    plastic_man <> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    > Windows 2000 hangs when running dos based time and attendance
    > programme when communicating through COM port.
    >
    > We have OLD time and attendance software that is DOS based.
    >
    > I have tried to run it on a windows 2000 machine and although some
    > bits work when we try and communicate through the COM port it hangs.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated - in the mean time i'll keep trying to
    > work it out.
    >
    > Fixes tried
    >
    > COM port settings changed to that of the old machine.
    >
    > Full administrator permissions on the win 2000.
    >
    > Windows 2000 on SP4
    >

    > Thanks

    Given that it's a DOS based program it's probably trying to access the
    hardware direct which Windows 2000 (or any other NT based OS) will not
    allow.

    Have you enabled/used compatibility mode?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279792

    Maybe easier to use an old machine with Win 9x on it?

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Steve Parry [MVP], Mar 15, 2004

  3. plastic_man

    Pavel A. Guest

    But the compatibility mode is not relevant for dos apps, isn't it?
    -PA

    Pavel A., Mar 15, 2004
  4. plastic_man

    plastic_man Guest

    I'll try the compatibility mode. I did think it was odd that there were no
    options for it. Extra odd that it's a hidden feature.

    The application currently runs on a Win95 machine, but there are only so
    many network connections on the work site, and we just ordered a half dozen
    new Win2000 machines. It's a pain for the non-computer-philes who work in
    the affected office to switch the network cable, LPT1 dongle, AND device
    serial plug every time they need to use that legacy app.

    Plastic Man

    plastic_man, Mar 15, 2004
  5. In news:,
    plastic_man <> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    > I'll try the compatibility mode. I did think it was odd that there
    > were no options for it. Extra odd that it's a hidden feature.
    >
    > The application currently runs on a Win95 machine, but there are only
    > so many network connections on the work site, and we just ordered a
    > half dozen new Win2000 machines. It's a pain for the
    > non-computer-philes who work in the affected office to switch the
    > network cable, LPT1 dongle, AND device serial plug every time they
    > need to use that legacy app.
    >
    > Plastic Man

    if you're using RJ45 connections there are splitters availabale to allow
    two connections from one wall socket ... such as

    http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/RJ45SPLITTER.htm

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Steve Parry [MVP], Mar 15, 2004
  6. plastic_man

    Davef Guest

    I'm experiencing the same problem and, in my case, it
    doesn't appear to be a DOS based problem. I run alot of
    applications that require the use of the COM1 port for
    program downloading. All but one application is designed
    around the Windows OS. The other is an old DOS based
    program and in all situations the COM port will suddenly
    stop working. The Windows base applications will return an
    error message indicating a COM failure and will allow the
    user to "retry" to establish communications. This usually
    works. On the DOS based program, it will "hang" at any
    given time and will not return an error message which is
    somewhat frustrating given the huge amount of data to be
    downloaded.
    I have checked and tweaked the port settings with no luck.
    I have also checked for any conficts between applications
    and the use of the COM port and have found nothing. This
    problem also occurs when using COM Port 2.
    I realize that nothing I've said has helped to cure your
    problem but you can take comfort in knowing you're not the
    only one with a "Windoze" issue!

    fiddled and fingered:

    Davef, May 18, 2004
  7. plastic_man

    Plastic Man Guest

    Backwards compatibility has always been a contentious issue. It
    wouldn't be such a problem if those old DOS apps we need to keep using
    weren't so expensive.

    Plastic Man, Jun 14, 2004