    connections, we have uninstalled and reinstalled softeare for Netgear. Both
    machines work hard-wired into the modem through a Ethernet cable. What are
    other options?

    Lpreston, Jan 9, 2008

  2. "Lpreston" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > We have bigpod cable and the wireless works on two machines with XP but
    > not
    > on the two wireless machines running 2000 and using Netgear adapters Wg111
    > and WG511t. Windows 2000 has service pack 4 installed. We have changed
    > the
    > settings in Internet Explorer to automatically detect settings under
    > connections, we have uninstalled and reinstalled softeare for Netgear.
    > Both
    > machines work hard-wired into the modem through a Ethernet cable. What
    > are
    > other options?

    I suspect that your wireless connection does not work. Make
    sure to enter the various details correctly when configuring
    the connection with the Netgear utility: SSID, type of authentication,
    type of encryption, encryption key.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Jan 9, 2008

  3. Lpreston

    Lpreston Guest

    We have installed / uninstalled the netgear 2-3 times - according to
    instructions that came with netgear and on CD or drivers form the internet .
    In bottom right corner icon sometimes it says it is connected to network -
    but we "ping" to website in the DOS window and it doesn't recognize the
    network. after I installed service pack 4 - I only get two tabs accross the
    top of dialog box of netgear. Soemone said something I have to set "wireless
    0 configuation" how do I do this in Windows 2000?

    Is there also other settings I need to change for it to work with win2000?
    Is it a problem with bigpond? I have called them and they said they can only
    help with the inital computer.

    The wg511 adapter works fine with other networks in other places - ie: at
    work. So we know that this adapter is installed correctly.
    Thanks

    Lpreston, Jan 9, 2008
  4. If you have several machines at your location that connect to
    the Internet via your Bigpond cable modem then you must have
    a router. Your first test must be to receive a reply from this
    router when you ping it. Pinging BigPond comes much, much
    later. You should ask these questions:

    - Does your wireless adapter confirm that it is connected to
    your access point?
    - What is the IP address of your router?
    - What is the IP address of your wireless adapter?
    - Have you tried using a fixed instead of a dynamic IP address
    for your wireless adapter?

    If these questions are beyond your current scope of experience
    then you should ask an experienced friend to assist you.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Jan 9, 2008