Windoiws installer corrupted ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 MSI' started by jarmopy, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. jarmopy

    jarmopy Guest

    Hi everybody,
    my Windows 2000 server + SP4 has a problem :-}

    Every msi installation is stopped.
    Only the text "Configuring Windows Installer" (or something like that) is
    displayed and nothing happens after that. The installation is stuck and must
    be killed by task manager.

    I have tried to reinstall installer version 2 but no help. I am not sure if
    this was succesfull. At the beginning it complaints that the servise already
    exist, but removing some files (found instructions from one newsgroup) it
    did not give that error any more. I still have the feeling that the msi
    installaton is not good. It did not copy the necessary files under system32
    folder. I did some modification manually.

    Must I run the Windows repair from the original installation CD + SP4 or
    what ?

    The machine is working OK (I hope), only msi packet installations cause
    trouble.

    Best Regads
    Jarmo

    jarmopy, Jul 9, 2004

  2. jarmopy

    Mac Guest

    Hi,

    I am also having the same problem as you.What happened
    to your problem?? is it solved ? If yes pls help me how.
    I frustrated with all articles and solutions, none of the
    solution is working. Pls help
    Thanx
    mac

    Mac, Aug 8, 2004
  3. First, I would not recommend that you rename the Windows Installer files
    and install the redistributable. The Windows Installer 2.0 is an integral
    part of the Windows OS, and the version in Service Pack 4 is a later build
    than that of the Redistributable.

    If you feel that the Windows Installer component is messed up, then I would
    recommend a reinstall of the Service Pack 4 to resolve the issue. If you
    want to see what is happening with the Windows Installer when it hangs up
    at the dialog, then I would recommend to enable the Windows Installer
    verbose Logging and Log the information. You can also use Filemon and
    Regmon to see what is happening.

    Filemon and Regmon can be downloaded from http://www.sysinternals.com.

    223300 How to Enable Windows Installer Logging
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223300

    Cheers,
    Tim Macaulay, MCSD, MCP.Net
    Microsoft Corp.

    Tim Macaulay[MSFT], Aug 10, 2004
  4. jarmopy

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    the only way I got this working was Windows reinstallation.
    SP4 reinstallation or Windows repair did not help.

    Regards
    Jarmo

    Guest, Aug 16, 2004