Windows XP WIN98 vs WIN 2000

Reaction score
am win98SE. I would like to upgrade to 2000. Kindly let me know if it server any use. I use the comp for home purpose. I have 256MB RAm, 1.7G celron CPU, 40GB hardisk.

Advise whether any use of upgrade.It should not make my system slow

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Skip it ... go for Win XP (pro version if not too expensive) :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Windows 2000 is mainly for a server environment, whereas Win98 and WinXP are for personal desktop use. I would suggest Win98 (but if possible WinXP!) :)

Reaction score
Sound advice, WinME really is abysmal.

I use Win 2000 and find it has great hardware support and is a stable environment. The main disadvantage to using Win98 over Win2000 or other, newer operating systems, is the USB support, very poor indeed.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ian Cunningham
Windows 2000 is mainly for a server environment, whereas Win98 and WinXP are for personal desktop use. I would suggest Win98 (but if possible WinXP!) :)

thnks for the reply. But XP should not make my comp slow. As i hve heard it requires more memory to run

MY SYSTEM

256 MB ram
40 GB har disk
1.7 GIGA celron

Reaction score
should run fine with 256MB RAM, one simple effective tip to speed up xp is to disable the OTT graphical enhancements, with these disabled it will run nicely on 128MB, realisticly with XP i would personally recommend a minimum of 384MB (with the price of RAm these days well worth the upgrade!). Also Win XP is based on Win 2K therefore is just as stable jus looks a bit nicer!

J

Reaction score
Originally posted by Techy
should run fine with 256MB RAM, one simple effective tip to speed up xp is to disable the OTT graphical enhancements, with these disabled it will run nicely on 128MB, realisticly with XP i would personally recommend a minimum of 384MB (with the price of RAm these days well worth the upgrade!). Also Win XP is based on Win 2K therefore is just as stable jus looks a bit nicer!

J

HOw to do that

Reaction score
start -> control panel -> system -> advanced -> performance settings -> untick boxes

J

Reaction score
for home you probably want xp, 2000 i found i had a lot of hardware problems. so i ended up having to do a clean install with XP pro it recognised all my hardware, they are, (2000 and xp) built on a similar platform but xp looks better and has more features and with ur system xp would run great, so XP.

Ask a Question