Win2K Task Manager.

BaKaR

Hi!

Problem: Task bar > right click > Task manager (same as ctrl + alt + del + task manager) == task manager goes to tray bar and Can
Not be restored to desktop/screen.
When trying to run/open/start task manager Again, it is deploying its icon next to another (which i run second ago) and cant be
brought to desktop (restored).
I can run more then a few taskmgr.exe processes (tryed up to 7) and i cant restore neither of em.

Any ideas ?

Thank You,

SS

Did you try right clicking one of them and selecting "Maximize"? Or "Move"?

BaKaR said:
Hi!

Problem: Task bar > right click > Task manager (same as ctrl + alt + del +
task manager) == task manager goes to tray bar and Can
Not be restored to desktop/screen.
When trying to run/open/start task manager Again, it is deploying its icon
next to another (which i run second ago) and cant be

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "BaKaR" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
Subject: Win2K Task Manager.
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:58:37 +0100

Hi!

Problem: Task bar > right click > Task manager (same as ctrl + alt + del + task manager) == task manager goes to tray bar and Can
Not be restored to desktop/screen.
When trying to run/open/start task manager Again, it is deploying its icon next to another (which i run second ago) and cant be
brought to desktop (restored).
I can run more then a few taskmgr.exe processes (tryed up to 7) and i cant restore neither of em.

Any ideas ?

Thank You,
---

If you right click on Task Manager from the Taskbar what options do we see on the Context Menu and are they grayed or
available? Also, what happens if you minimize everything else, then right click the Taskbar and select "Tile Windows
Vertically"?

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

BaKaR

This is my reply to similar question from another group:

**-----------------------------**
Ctrl + Shift + Esc == starting new Task Manager, but its still placing its icon in the tray bar. (If task manager was already
started, it is creating new taskmgr.exe process and adding new icon next to previous task managers icon in the tray bar).

Start > Run > taskmgr.exe == does same thing (same as from cmd.exe).

I tryed clicking on the icon with left and right clicks but notting + i cannot move it neither i get any options as normally.

That Server is Virus/Ad free and Updated.

I can kill the processes, then icons go away. Starting task manager again gives same result.

Server was restarted Once == same result == no result == same thing keeps going ...

+ i cant get anything in knlowladhe base ot TechNet ...

*. Remove: "DnotSpamMe" When R_ing.

BaKaR

Hi!

Again, same problems with Task MAnager, but now on three (2) Win2K servers in the Domain.

[...]

I solved the problem my using: diskperf -y (i initated disk perf counters) and restarted the machine (one minute short fix).

Or, if i kill (tskill) all instances of taskmgr.exe and run Computer managment > Perf. Logs And Alerts > Counter Logs > Sys Overview
start, then stop, then start Perfomnace Log and Alerts Service.

Task Manager will work, until again staled.

I really dont have any ideas no more ...

Thank You,

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "BaKaR" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general
Subject: Re: Win2K Task Manager.
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:43:10 +0100

[...]

----

Check to see if you have a GinaDLL value in the following registry key.

If we do have the value, what is the data for it?

Have you tried deleting or renaming Taskmgr.exe from %systemroot%\system32 to allow Windows File Protection to put it
back to see what would happen?

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

BaKaR

Hi.

No GinaDLL.

I can get it to work, on almost all servers, i cant do it on Exchange server.

But still, it dies for few hours.

So, Task Manager is working, it just block every few hours. Then i try that fix with perf. counters and performanse logs and alerts
service and its working again.

Maybe NTBackup is killing it ? Cauze thats happening when ntbackup stales (need another backup dlt which cant be provided in the
moment) so there are like 1000+ messenger (popup) alerts.

I realy dont understand this ...

From: "BaKaR" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:54:15 +0100

Hi.

No GinaDLL.

I can get it to work, on almost all servers, i cant do it on Exchange server.

But still, it dies for few hours.

So, Task Manager is working, it just block every few hours. Then i try that fix with perf. counters and performanse logs and alerts
service and its working again.

Maybe NTBackup is killing it ? Cauze thats happening when ntbackup stales (need another backup dlt which cant be provided in the
moment) so there are like 1000+ messenger (popup) alerts.

I realy dont understand this ...
---

Take a look at the article below to see if it fits with what you are seeing.

837060 - The Taskmgr.exe or the Tsadmin.exe program may stop responding when you open Task Manager on a
computer that is running Terminal Services in remote administration mode
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;837060