Windows 10 Win10 automatic background download file location?

Reaction score
I read is a newspaper recently that Win10 may download in the background. On Win7 where would it place the installation file and what would it be called? I need the disk space, but equally important I don't want Win10..!
Thanks for an help btw.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I downloaded Win 10 but never installed it. I don't really want it at present.

Where is the download kept? I've looked in Downloads, Program Files and tried Search but no sign.

As per AB's link I can find two of the downloads listed for Win 7 but not the third one (KB3021917). I assume it's not on the list because it's not been installed but where will it have gone?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You need to re read Abarbs link again. Second paragraph.

How to remove Windows 10 installation files
First and foremost, it’s worth noting that the Windows 10 installation files take up to 6 GB of your storage space (5.40 GB in our case), so it’s no wonder that everyone wants to delete them.

To do that, go to your C: partition and look for a folder called $Windows.~BT. This is where Microsoft puts all Windows 10 installation files, so you can right-click it, hit Properties and check how much space it takes on your PC. Additionally, here’s what the content of the folder looks like.

Reaction score
Well, a search is not showing a folder called $Windows.~BT - Do we know the path for this folder?

[EDIT]: I have show hidden folders switched on by the way.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/delete-windows-old-folder/

Google is pretty helpful in finding out information so I have found. I can not say if any of the above works as I have not been foolish enough to install Microsofts latest Beta offering even though it is free.
Laughing.gif

Reaction score
I work mainly on Macs, one of my Macs has Bootcamp so I can boot into Win7 on that Mac but searching this drive (C) while booted as a Mac does show a $Windows.~BT folder but it's not showing on the other PC I'm trying to check.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well if you can't find the folder, what does that tell you?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Good point, but I haven't knowingly deleted it since it downloaded. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes, I had a message stating "Downloaded successfully" and a button to install which I decided not to press.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, not ran disk cleanup? Or Ccleaner maybe? (not sure if the latter would remove the folder off the top of my head)

Either way, don't worry, just run the Media Creation Tool. Check the Win 10 FAQ for more details.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ah ! Yes I have run CCleaner which does remove Temporary Internet Files so I wonder if that's what happened.

Not so sure that CCleaner would remove folders from the top of your head though. :D

Anyway, if it's not on the system I'll be happy enough. Just didn't want it taking up acres of space. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
To be clear, I'm at work and don't have CCleaner installed on this machine so I don't know for sure if it would or indeed does remove install files without looking, Though I have a feeling there is an option for it somewhere....

You could use Windirstat to see what's using space on your drive if your that worried, but if the folder isn't there then you haven't got the files sat there.

:)

Reaction score
This is how it is solved.

1. Click on ""Start" button
2. Locate "File Explorer" and click on it
3. Find the item that is called "Downloads" and has a large down arrow as an icon on its left
(it should be under "This PC"). As a matter of interest, It is a system "read only" folder
4. Right mouse-click on it and select "Properties"
5. Click on the tab "Location" and you will see where the current location is.

. If you wish to keep downloads, I would suggest you create a folder on an external drive.
I have one called "H:\Data\Downloads" for all my downloads and I give each program I download a separate
folder in case I want to refer to it again (and keep different versions, perhaps).

Since you cannot define separate folders to the "Edge" download facility, I created a folder called
"Edge Downloads" under the H:\Data\Downloads folder.

I then changed the location under the "Location" tab to "H:\Data\Downloads\Edge Downloads"

After the download finishes via Edge, the folder automatically shows as a flashing item in the status bar.
I simply go into that folder and move the download(s) to their respective folders under "H:\Data\Downloads".
That keeps the "Edge Download" folder clear (and the C: drive less cluttered).
It is handy if you rebuild our computer since you will not lose all your downloads.

For the record, the reason I have a drive with a folder called "Data" is that AMYTHING I do not want to
lose because of a system crash/rebuild I placed in folders under "Data". This includes "settings" and data files
which you define within your different programs (Any good program will allow you to define where its settings and
data are stored).

I then have a backup system to the cloud that backs up "H:\Data" and all its sub-folders.

After the crash/rebuild (if it happens) I simply re-install my programs and painstakingly go into each program
and tell its where the data and settings are stored (Drive H:). Voila! Everything back to normal.

I hope this info is of help. :)

Cheers

Chris (Australia)

Ask a Question