Win XP/Vista dual boot but boots into XP only

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Installation' started by Gis Bun, May 18, 2009.

  1. Gis Bun

    Gis Bun Guest

    OK. A while back, I had Win XP on drive C. I installed Win Vista x64
    [Ultimate retail] on drive D [needed to boot to the DVd as the system booted
    up]. Worked perfectly .... Unitil I had hard disk issues.

    Reinstalled Win XP late last year and decided to reinstall Vista x64 again.
    Followed just like above. Everything went smoothly.

    Rebooted. Went directly into Win XP. No menu or anything. Never saw the
    Vista bootloader.

    Booted off the Vista DVD and selected repair.

    Ran bootrec /scanos - detected only Vista.

    Tried the /fixmbr and /rebuildbcd and /fixboot and none worked.

    Ideas?

    Thanks

    Gis Bun, May 18, 2009

  2. Gis Bun

    HF Guest

    Go here and download EasyBcd Probably
    help ----http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

    HF, May 18, 2009

  3. Gis Bun

    John Inzer Guest

    Gis Bun wrote:
    > OK. A while back, I had Win XP on drive C. I installed Win Vista x64
    > [Ultimate retail] on drive D [needed to boot to the DVd as the system
    > booted up]. Worked perfectly .... Unitil I had hard disk issues.
    >
    > Reinstalled Win XP late last year and decided to reinstall Vista x64
    > again. Followed just like above. Everything went smoothly.
    >
    > Rebooted. Went directly into Win XP. No menu or anything. Never saw
    > the Vista bootloader.
    >
    > Booted off the Vista DVD and selected repair.
    >
    > Ran bootrec /scanos - detected only Vista.
    >
    > Tried the /fixmbr and /rebuildbcd and /fixboot and none worked.
    >
    > Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    ================================
    Maybe VistaBootPRO would be worth a look:
    http://www.vistabootpro.org/

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, May 18, 2009
  4. Gis Bun

    Gis Bun Guest

    It worked nicely.

    But with a word of warning. I found out on my next Win XP bootup that it
    seems the software installs a hidden task scheduler job in Win XP.

    According to the author, this is to check for updates. A strange way to
    check for updates through a RSS feed. It also stops after 5 hours and change
    and the first run is about 30 minutes of installing EasyBootBCD.

    Personally, I'll hopefully use it once and that's it. I don't need to check
    for update for a one time thing [same reason why I didn't bother with
    VistaBootPro. Why pay $10 for a small issue that I could blame on MS?].

    Gis Bun, May 18, 2009