Windows 8 Win 8's Blue update

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Microsoft's update of its Windows 8 operating system, code-named Windows Blue, will be available later this year, supporting a variety of form factors and display sizes, and providing more options for both businesses and consumers.

"The Windows Blue update is also an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we've been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT," said Tami Reller, Microsoft's chief marketing officer and chief financial officer in a post on Tuesday on the progress of Windows 8.

Microsoft shipped Windows RT for ARM-based devices and Windows 8 for devices based on Intel processors in October last year. The update to Windows 8 comes in the wake of sometimes adverse user feedback about the operating system, which is said to have failed to boost flagging PC sales.
Full article is here: pcworld.com

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Windows 8, "The Big Fix" will still not interest me. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Nope I'm afraid windows days are numbered, I'm waiting for someone to bring out Doors 1.0 :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rumour has it MS may re-introduce the start button in that update :lol:

The Windows Blue update is also an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we've been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8

To do that they must have been wearing tin hats and full body armour ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just a couple of random comments I've taken from looking around at reactions on computer-related sites, they pretty much sum up the mood (and they're not very polite comments ;) )

'Oh Yes, just as was predicted, a start button to nowhere but the Metro start screen, just the tiles are smaller! Oh! MonkeyBoy Ballmer, up to his old monkey shines, again! extend the wretched hand of deceit, embrace the false sense of security, and extinguish all home of an open garden as the gate slams shut, and the user is trapped in the closed garden of M$ TIFKAM delites! You'll get your start button, and your TIFKAM too! Oh not for me, the malignant tumor, that is the TIFKAM framework, must be removed, no bi-modal Hell for me, My third party OEM PC/laptop is not part of the M$ ecosystem, it is my computer, and the OS will serve me, and not the dark lord, BeezelBallmer!'

'Give us windows 7, on our new hardware, and not Metro! Trying to slip the Metro framework in, under the RADAR, is not going to cut it! PC laptops and desktops, are not tablets or phones, stop trying to use our independently manufactured PCs/LAPTOPS as M$ property! Our computers are not a preschool playground sandbox, for an added source of revenue for you M$! No PC/Laptop owner wants an App Store, stapled onto the front end of their OS, they want and need full function desktop applications, that already exist, and not the stripped down duplications, that need to be repurchased, from you crappy app store! You can leave your app store to the fools that buy your Branded Phones and Tablets!'

S'bout right innit? :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
The Interface Formerly Known As Metro ... TiFKaM

I hate acronyms, especially new ones. :rolleyes:

I'm gettin too old for this lark. :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Interface Formerly Known As Metro ... TiFKaM

I hate acronyms, especially new ones. :rolleyes:

Me too, I had to look that one up as well, I had meant to include an explanation with post but, erm, I forgot :blush: Sorry bout dat.

Ebenezer Farquar Jones III Laird of Dundee said:
I'm gettin too old for this lark. :wave:

No you're not, script kiddies need the occasional wit and a swift blow to the nether regions to keep them in line :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Whooopee a start button. Great inovation MS. :rolleyes:

I will never ever buy a new pc with Windows 8 preinstalled for the reasons given below.
One of the requirements for Windows 8 certified hardware is that it must complete firmware initialisation within a specific amount of time, something that Microsoft refer to as "Fast Boot". Meeting these requirements effectively makes it impossible to initialise USB, and it's likely that certain other things will also be skipped. If you've got a USB keyboard then this obviously means that your keyboard won't work until the OS starts, but even i8042 setup takes time and so some laptops with traditional PS/2-style keyboards may not set it up. That means the system will ignore the keyboard no matter how much you hammer it at boot, and the firmware will boot whichever OS it finds.

I'm firmly of the opinion that there are benefits to Secure Boot. I'm also in favour of setups like Fast Boot. But I don't believe that anyone should be forced to agree to a EULA purely in order to be able to boot their own choice of OS on a system that they've already purchased.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What Microsoft are doing here is trying to get the hardware manufacturers to incorporate their wishes into the BIOS. This would mean that only certain Microsoft OS's would work with a computer so enabled (or should we read 'lobotomised'?).

As has been pointed out any USB devices won't work until a Microsoft Operating system has been loaded. You will realise from this that trying any Linux live distros from a USB stick is impossible.

Microsoft are despicable and they're trying every dirty rotten trick in the book to hang on to their profit margin, this is certainly a move against Linux by Microsoft.

It does depend, of course, which computer/components manufacturers go along with Microsoft but those creeps at Redmond know how to twist arms.

Most people, of course, don't know better and will accept this rubbish but those a little savvy will either self-build their system with a motherboard not infected by Microsoft or maybe even make the leap to an Apple system :eek:

Watch this space.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I bricked my Samsung Laptop last December trying to install Linux via USB stick. Samsung honored the replacement under warranty. I did not know how or why this happened but in January a lot was discussed about Samsung laptops bricked in forums across the web. All this happened due to UEFI. :mad:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Zema posted this elsewhere, I've copied it, I think it's relevant, good to see I'm not alone and also good to see I think I've been relatively restrained in my criticism:

I wandered over to the MS site this evening to see if I could snag an iso yet to mess around with, and I came across the MS blog. You'd expect it to be all pro-Win8, I mean after all, this blog is right in the heart of the mothership, right? Well....

wade.burchette

0 Posts
May 30, 2013
Few things make me angrier than the "you must not use Windows 8 and that is why you don't like it" crowd.

HERE THIS NOW! (And yes I am screaming.) MY HATRED FOR WINDOWS 8 COMES FROM FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCE!!! Of all my customers, I have met only 1 who likes Windows 8. It used to be 2, but after using it for a while, she started to hate it. I have been paid to put Windows 7 back on by someone who I never told or suggested that she could have Windows 7. When will Microsoft and those that like Windows 8 wake up and realize the people who hate it are the majority. Probably the day when they realize that people can have a different opinion and still be acceptable. If you like it, fine. But stop assuming those that hate have no experience with it. Just stop.

Always remember, you don't put a nail in with a screwdriver and you don't make a desktop work like a tablet. If Microsoft does not start listening to the majority they will be a has-been.

Win8Stinks

0 Posts
May 30, 2013
First I must say that performance-wise, Windows 8 is better than previous OSs. However, it is also the worst OS since Apple and Linux appeared. If you like a nice neat orderly looking desktop on startup, the new Metro Start Menu is an absolute disaster! Why would I want all that junk on my screen? Apps? No thanks! I have my own apps.

Now for business. When is Microsoft going to release another business OS? I haven't seen one since XP Professional. As a Systems Administrator that also has responsibility for security, there's no way I want users to be streaming news, sports and weather to their desktops.

I also don't want them downloading apps from any app store. That is just plain stupid for businesses to allow that. And yes, those were the first things we will disable in group policy. We disabled Desktop Gadgets because most were so buggy and would cause CPU to spike to 100%, rendering the computer useless.

Login to a Microsoft account? Are you serious? Really? For business? Even if you join this abomination to a domain, if you don't get rid of that hideous Metro Start Menu, users have the option to change to an MS account. Really? For businesses?

IE 10 is terrible. When I tell it to delete history and temp Internet files, I expect it to do that. However, right after I delete history, I can type into the address bar and there appears my history. Just what does delete history mean anymore? Kiosk mode-style IE 10 just really sucks. Not a fan at all.

There's a lot more, but this is getting long enough as it is. Suffice it to say there always be those that either like or dislike the latest version of anything. I love the performance of Windows 8, but the GUI leaves a lot to be desired. I'd rather have my "classic" start menu and Aero back. If 8.1 doesn't have any of that, I'll ditch Windows 8 on my new laptop and install Windows 7.

Win8Stinks

0 Posts
May 30, 2013
Forgot one thing. What are you going to do for businesses that may have Windows 8 installed, but have disabled the Windows Store? Is 8.1 going to be available as a download to those of us with Enterprise Agreements? Is it going to be available through Windows Update?

Having users go to the Windows Store is not an option for businesses concerned about security and reliability.

Brandon LeBlanc

2266 Posts
May 30, 2013
Win8Stinks - we will have more to say regarding Windows 8.1 and enterprise customers next week at TechEd North America.

prowla

0 Posts
May 31, 2013
Not all people who don't like Windows 8, are dinosaurs, not prepared to move with the times, claiming they are stuck in the corporate mindset, and so-on.

Despite all of the above, it is possible not to like something just because it's not very good.

Back to Windows 8.1; from MSDN, the Windows 8.1 features include...

"Multitasking:

Variable, continuous size of snap views. You will have more ways to see multiple apps on the screen at the same time. You can resize apps to any size you want, share the screen between two apps, or have up to three apps on each screen if you have multiple displays connected, you can have different Windows Store apps running on all the displays at the same time and the Start Screen can stay open on one monitor. This makes multi-tasking even easier. Also in Windows 8.1, you can have multiple windows of the same app snapped together – such as two Internet Explorer windows."

Seriously - it's 2013 and the headline features of the latest OS are that you can resize apps and that it is multitasking so that you can have up to 3 apps running per display???

I use Windows XP, 7, 8, Server, Ubuntu Linux, Red Hat Linux, Oracle Linux, CentOS, Solaris, iPad, iPhone, iPod, Kindle, Blackberry phones, Blackberry Playbook, and possibly a couple of others I've forgotten. Of them all, the one I think "oh no" when I go to use it is Windows 8

I'm surprised MS hasn't deleted all the negative posts, maybe they've just given up ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm surprised MS hasn't deleted all the negative posts
... they using Win8, so they can't 'see' them blog posts. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Um, that quote is part of Zema's original post that I swiped, lol

And yes, one glimmer of goodness for MS there, they're not as Nazi-like as Apple when it comes to censorship.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Variable, continuous size of snap views. You will have more ways to see multiple apps on the screen at the same time. You can resize apps to any size you want, share the screen between two apps, or have up to three apps on each screen if you have multiple displays connected, you can have different Windows Store apps running on all the displays at the same time and the Start Screen can stay open on one monitor. This makes multi-tasking even easier. Also in Windows 8.1, you can have multiple windows of the same app snapped together – such as two Internet Explorer windows."

I think I can do all of the above with my Window Maker desktop which is pretty much the same as when it was first developed in 1999. :lol:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Internet Explorer 11 will come out with Windows 8.1
Why don't M$ fix IE 10 first ?:fool:

Ask a Question